Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

To BTS Staff / Representatives

First of all, I’m glad to be back. Work (and a beautiful new 7 lb 4 oz baby girl!) has kept me away for quite awhile.

During my hiatus from CM, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Laying awake in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, and thinking. Thinking, if I had the skills, the ability, and, more realistically, the money, and if I set out to build the computer game of my dreams, what would it look like. I must say that I now have some very concrete ideas on how the finished product would look and play. The problem of course, is how do I get there from here? Especially since I have neither the skills, the ability, or the money.

Without giving too much away, please accept as praise my desire to build on what you have already created with CM, because it is in every respect a fabulous game. I have a vision of utilizing a game engine such as yours as the foundation, and then building an entirely new level/facet on top of it. It really would, in my humble estimate, be bigger, bolder, and most important, more fun and challenging to play than any computer wargame ever produced. But again, how do I get there from here?

I have so many questions. How would one get permission to use the CM engine? Do you/will you license it? If so, what’s involved? Assuming I can get this permission/license, what do I do with it once I’ve got it? I’m not a programmer. The only code I know is the PIN number for my bank card. I have growing 3D modeling skills (one facet of my business is graphics oriented), but I don’t think that would be the best use of my skills, nor is it an area in need of a lot of attention in my re-worked vision of the game. To grossly simplify everything, what I see I need are:

1) Permission / License

2) Individuals capable and knowledgeable enough to effect the changes and build and incorporate the new material

3) Someone with enough money to buy bread and water for these people until the project is finished

So again, how do I get there from here? I know you folks are in no way obligated to answer any of my questions, and I would certainly understand if you chose not to waste any of your time. I’m sure this isn’t the first query you’ve received like this. There probably isn’t a gamer alive that hasn’t fantasized about designing and building their own game.

The only difference between you and the rest of us is you put your oars in the water, so to speak. You took it from your mind and put it in your hands. Consider this then, my first stroke.

Regards