Max Hit Probability

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some more info on Panther HE:

Panzertruppen 2 pg 130

The great range of the gun must be exploited under all circumstances. Fire can be opened at a range of 2000 meters. Almost all the targets destroyed (heavy weapons and tanks) were engaged at a range of 1500-200 meters. Ammunition expenditure was very low. Every fourth or fifth round was a hit, even with high explosive rounds .

This is a followup paragraph where the author states the panther battalion had destroyed 89 vehicles and 150 guns.

A gun is certainly a much smaller area target than an infantry unit spread that is spread out. In fact, for a dug in AT gun it is actually smaller than a tank. This data certainly backs up the french report.

From my research, I have read that HE rounds explosive fillings actually undergo a shear type of stress during the firing process. When a round is fired from a rifled weapon, there is a tremendous translational as well as rotaional acceleration. According to the book I was reading, rotational velocitys of 30000 RPM is typical (yeah thirty thou). This would imply that balancing is critical to a shell. I highly doubt that any nation during wartime would have the equipment or time to spin balace their HE shells (like your tires on your car).

What I am putting forth here is that a HE shell with less HE filling would more than likely be better balanced just by its nature. the outer mass from the center would be made up of more homogenous rigid steel and the "moving" center HE content would have much less effect.

Also the jump of a gun could be related to this. As I have posted before, APDS are very dependant on balance and sabots having the same weight. If not, they impart a small motion to the barrel as they travel up the tube and corkscrew. This slight motion will throw the aim of the weapon off and the sabot is less accurate. A homogenous AP round has less of this effect if center gound about its axis!

if anyone is following this thread; take a look at the british armor thread also. There is a little discussion about the 75mmL24. I have the data on the 75mmL24 rifling and would welcome anyone else posting rifling data here. I am going to figure out the rotational velocity for the 75mmL24.

Lewis