Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Use of shaped charge ammo

I know this topic has been written about in previous messages, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more recent insights.

Basically, I've played 2 scenarios now where I've had an StuG42 and an M4 105, which had an ammo mix of mostly h and some c. I've moved them in position to get shot at an M4 and a Panther, respectively, and in both cases each only fired HE at the target, never choosing to use the shaped charge ammunition. In both cases, the shots were at the frontal armor of each target and so there was near 0 chance of a kill (if not exactly 0) using HE and a far greater chance of a kill using the shaped charge ammunition. How can I get my tank crews to choose the shaped charged ammunition instead? Is there anyway I can order the use of that ammunition? Under what conditions will they use it?

Originally posted by schuette:

I know this topic has been written about in previous messages, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more recent insights.

Basically, I've played 2 scenarios now where I've had an StuG42 and an M4 105, which had an ammo mix of mostly h and some c. I've moved them in position to get shot at an M4 and a Panther, respectively, and in both cases each only fired HE at the target, never choosing to use the shaped charge ammunition. In both cases, the shots were at the frontal armor of each target and so there was near 0 chance of a kill (if not exactly 0) using HE and a far greater chance of a kill using the shaped charge ammunition. How can I get my tank crews to choose the shaped charged ammunition instead? Is there anyway I can order the use of that ammunition? Under what conditions will they use it?

Try testing it out. Make a test scenario were 10 M4/105s shoot at 10 Tigers and make sure they have a couple of c charges. See if they fire it. There use to be a T bug were T was almost never fired until the very end even when it was life and death, now fixed. This may be a similar case.

I've noticed that if tanks only have a few C rounds, they will fire HE first to zero in on the target. Makes sense, you don't want to waste your only good round on a 20% chance of a hit.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Since the first 1.1 public beta version, I've only seen one of these heavies fire HC once. It was a CS Cromwell that picked a HC as the 10th round or so, when firing at a Jagdtiger that had it's gun damaged some 20 turns earlier in the game and had successfully acted as decoy since.

That HC went straight through the side armour and knocked out the JT.

In all other instances, and there's been quite a few, HE has been fired until the shooter was KO'd.

Mind you, the 105mm HE is quite effective against lighter armour, like armoured cars and halftracks.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...