Mod manager . Is it really any better & easier?

I was thinking about using the Mod manager but before I do I just want to make sure it's a big improvement over downloading mods the old fashion way that I know how to do. If it's a bitch to setup I don't think I want to get involved but if it is really worth the trouble I do. Is there any body out there that has actually tryed it and felt it wasn't worth the hassle? I know very little about computers and don't have the time to learn a new program that's going to only improve the handling of mods a tiny bit. Any comments would be appreciated. Smart asses can please go find another post to bother. I am serious about this post and appreciate serious answers from those that know. :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

If it's a bitch to setup I don't think I want to get involved but if it is really worth the trouble I do.

I know very little about computers and don't have the time to learn a new program that's going to only improve the handling of mods a tiny bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to know that many people who did not read the instructions carefully deleted ALL their previously installed mods. This is becuase the mod manager creates a "Core Set" (or foundation) of bitmaps when first installed. You can than just dump Zipped mods and select according to your desire for any given game.

Note, you will NOT get a nice preview pic unless the modder made the file "Mod Manager Compatiable" with a .jpeg preview. The Mod Manager does not work for mods that have been packaged with batch files (basically Marco's outstanding mods).

Fyi, I do use the mod manager for well over 250+ mods (all with previews). I NEVER EVER do a full install. I use it only to install individual mods. The Mod Manager was never intended to be used this way; it takes more time to customize it in this manner.

Again, I'd say pass if I were you.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: bfamily33 ]

I downloaded it and tried to use it once. It was a real pain in the butt and I haven't touched it since. But there are those out there who I'm sure swear by it and love it to death. I'm not saying it's bad, it just isn't for me.

Ok, the strengths of the ModManager lie in it's ability to add previews, readme's, and a variety of extras and options for a mod (different terrain swaps, vehicle markings, scenario specific mods, and so on).

Like a great many things in life, you should probably READ THE DIRECTIONS before you use it, or you'll cause yourself headaches. But when you find yourself sitting on top of 200+ meg of mods, you'll likely wish you had a decent way in which to organize and swap them. ModManager offers this. It also lets you leave all your mods in zip files, cutting down on required drive space.

My position is thus: Don't allow others to condemn it for you. Back up your existing mods and try it out for yourself. If YOU don't like it, then 86 it.

Well, I'm back home and wanted to see what everybody thought. I greatly appreciate those that answered - thank you. Well, I think at this point I will past until I learn more about computers. Sounds like I just saved myself some big headaches.