Indirect fire for mortar carriers

Guest Alex

Just like for any other man-handled mortar I think the best way to employ this kind of veichles is to give 'em the chance to "work" without directly exposing to enemies fire.In fact, for me, these AFV's are quite useless in the actual way: in the most cases I prefer to hidden 'em behind a tree, waiting to eliminate enemy AT-Teams, Mortars, Spotters, heavy Mgs, EtcEtc, first....and so, the battle end before They could fire a shoot!!

So, could someone,please, indicate me the best tactical usage for these? I'm tired to see their crewmen playing poker during a fight...

Eternal gratitude.Thanks a lot.Alex.

PS.As you surely notice my english is...ahemm..."quite rusted", so I'm sorry for any error. redface.gif

In the army i was a TOW gunner (wire guided anti-tank missle thingie)...Anyway our effective range was around 4K, in our company we had a 4.2 morter platoon with M113's. We deployed to the feild together...then we never saw them again until the exercise was over. Well...maybe sometimes when we went to pick up hot food...but usually they were at least 2-3K behind us. We were usually very close to the FEBA 1-2K either side.

So its been my expereince, morter carriers are used far behind the lines and away from DIRECT fire.

Unless they got caught sleeping by the OPFOR.

Trade in two mortar-carriers.

Take one 81mm FO in return.

Shoot things for real.

About the only use I've ever been able to get out of these things in CM, since they are indirect fire weapons forced to use direct fire by game mechanics, is parking them somewhere where they can see the upper stories of a village I am attacking, but nothing else can see them, and they are a long way away.

Enemy guns do not go in the upper stories of buildings. And while MGs sometimes do, at range they are not all that effective against halftracks, and you can always move a little.

Then, use "area fire" targeting at selected second-story locations within the village. The rounds will fall around it, miss back to front and land on either side of that building, etc. Change the targets every now and then.

It is a lot of work to get less than the same effect as the alternative method - trade 'em in and bring their FO instead. He can call an area barrage on a village. He can call it in anywhere, and the carriers can't. The price is a short delay, while the price of the carriers is effort, frustration, and ineffectiveness.

Guest Michael emrys

Just want to pitch my voice into this issue one more time. It would be really nice to get this fixed. Okay, so we can't expect to see that any time soon, I understand. But I hope it's on a list somewhere in the offices of BTS.

Michael