Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Infantry guns switching targets too much

Guest Mongo Lloyd

Guest Mongo Lloyd

I am currently playing a game using v1.1 where I had a 150mm infantry gun targeted on attacking infantry on my left flank. On it's own, the gun decided that it would rather fire on infantry that was attacking my center and began rotating that way. Once it was facing the center it decided that it would rather fire at the infantry on my left so it started rotating that way again. The end result was that the gun never fired and was destroyed by artillery the next turn. I know that tanks were made less likely to switch targets, what about guns? If it would have stayed targeted on the troops I told it to fire at, the attack on my left might have been stopped. I have seen this type of behavior repeatedly. BTS, have you looked at this at all?

I've seen the same thing happen many times, and apparently the only way to lessen the effect is with "keyhole" sighting, where the guns only have a very narrow LOS, reducing the number of potential targets at once. That of course decreases their usefuleness in certain situations.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

Ive seen the same thing happen with the exact same caliber gun.

See my "Ever felt like killing your own units?" thread. In it, my gun also died of fatal artillerly - my own >:)

Incompetent bastards deserved it, I say.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 02-03-2001).]

I think the problem is that this gun has a very slow traverse. In combination with a mentality that "a close hit isn't enough", and an inability to overcompensate for movement instead of always trying to catch up, it rarely acuires any targets.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.