Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tank Crew Casualties - CMBB

Several recent threads have touched on this issue, but it has become apparent that there is a great opportunity for BTS to improve the tank warfare further by allowing different types of casualty whenever a crew member gets hit.

For example right now we get a crew casualty, but we do not know which one.

It would be a great enhancement if whenever a casualty is caused it is specified which one gets hit - the future performance of the AFV can then be changed dramatically depending on which one.

Driver hit = Immobile vehicle, or vehicle out of control

Gunner hit = Gun out of action, or accuracy penalty

Loader hit - Slow rate of fire

MG gunner hit = No MG anymore

TC hit = Delayed movement orders, poor target aquisition etc

Maybe these could be modified since i am not an expert on tank warfare, some crew members carry out multi-functions so these would have to be considered too.

These coupled with the new crew morale (Which will be lowered whichever crew memeber gets hit) would be a great addition to the game.

Could this idea work and be implemented into CMBB do you think?

CDIC

I don't know but I think that might be pretty hard. Say if the driver was hit and they wanted to move the vehicle, I am sure one of the other crew members know enough to get the tank from point a to point b. So how do you express the "backup driver" inexperience? Plus, I could be wrong but I thought most casualities in tanks, that were not KOed, were the TCs.

Capitalistdog,

I like your idea.

Cooper,

Im not sure about someone filling out for a driver. From what I know, driving a tank around a battlefield isn't as easy as driving your Toyota to the supermarket. Maybe experts in the field like Mannheim Tanker or others can fill us in?

Also, although TC hits would probably be the most common, Im sure there were many ways in which other crew members could have gotten KIA or WIA. Concussions from none penetrating hits, penetrating but none fatal (to the entire tank that is) rounds, or encounters with land mines are some amongst many ways to get hurt while in a tank.

Most tank crew members could sub for each other in a pinch depending on how many there were in the crew and how good their training was. In tanks having a hull machine gunner, that person was usually designated as assistant driver. Presumably he had some experience driving, at least enough to get the vehicle back to some cover. Of course, while driving he could no longer fire the hull MG. The TC could load the cannon if need be and could probably fire it too. I've heard of loaders taking over the gunner's position. I guess if they were really stressed, almost anyone could drive for a few hundred meters.

In short, a single casualty would not by itself have forced the crew to abandon the vehicle, or even necessarily to give up the fight. But most likely if they had taken a hit that resulted in a casualty, they would pull back, get medical aid for the wounded man, maybe pick up a replacement, and do any necessary repairs that could be done in the field. All this would effectively put the tank out of action for the duration of a CM battle, but have it maybe back in action for the next battle of an operation.

Michael

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]</p>