Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Reversing towards the enemy ?!?!?

Guest tero

How often does this occur ? I have heard rumors this bug has been spotted before.

Last night I lost a mortar carrier to this bug in a PBEM. I am defending a position and I had to start scooting with the carrier because of an advancing Sherman. I ordered it to relocate between two houses in front of its former position at FAST speed to traverse some open ground quickly. It came under MG fire from the Sherman and survived. The it came under fire from a MG team on the third floor of the building I was going to blow down with the said carrier. The carrier buttoned up (possibly), stopped at a location at the corner of one of the houses. That was not its original final waypoint (which would have been out of LOS to both treaths). Then the carrier rotated and instead of going to Warp 10 forward to safety it went Warp 5 backwards towards the enemy some 100 meters and it was duely executed.

Anyone have an idea what the hell made it do that. Movie available on request.

I'm trying to figure out if it was the type that fires forward or backward...

The US has both types, and I know one German HT that fires a mortar forward, but there's also one that fires to the rear.

Perhaps this one followed your intentions of moving forward, while facing the "sharp end" towards the enemy?

(Just like you don't use fast move, but reverse, to close on the enemy with an Archer...)

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

>I'm trying to figure out if it was the type that fires forward or backward...

SdKfz 250(/7 ?), forward firing mortar. At least it fired with its face facing the enemy.

>Perhaps this one followed your intentions of moving forward, while facing the "sharp end" towards the enemy?

Most definitively not. I had plotted the FAST movement order so that it would reach a safe place between two houses.....

Brainstorming mode on: perhaps it intended to FIRE "opportunity fire" at the MG team in the house. A glitch in the program directed it to reverse because it rotated AWAY from the enemy and the program assumes 1) a MG as a secondary weapon and/or 2) rear facing mortar. As neither apply the MG/rear facing mortar TARGET order translated to REVERSE order.

That does not explain the incident I have heard about a Tiger backing to the laps of the enemy

>(Just like you don't use fast move, but reverse, to close on the enemy with an Archer...)

I chose Fast to preserve the HT when I wanted it safe from the Sherman. I deemed Move or Hunt to be detrimental because it would have allowed more time for the Sherman to zero in on it.