Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unit size definitions

Before I get into details, let me say one thing. Modern formations are organized on a 'triangular' pattern, meaning three smaller parts make the next bigger unit for line units (i.e. infantry, armor etc). This is because modern military theory relies on a '2 up, one down' scheme, where two units are in the line, with the third acting as a reserve/recooperating.

Squad- ~10 men. Unit which you see in CM. Look at the unit detail screen for specific details for specific squads.

Platoon- ~3 Squads & 1 HQ. Basic infantry formation in CM. This is how you 'buy' infantry in Quick Battles. Usually around 30-40 men.

Company- 3 Platoons & HQ usually w/ some organic heavy weapons support(HMGs, Mortars, 'Zooks). About 120-140 men. Most CM battles feature a 'reinforced' company. I.e. a company with an extra platoon, heavy weapons, tanks, etc.

Battalion- 3 Companies, with a HQ and more heavy weapons support. Usually the organic battalion support is heavier than the organic company support. For example, some german Bns include 75mm ATGs, etc. while companies only have panzerfausts.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Just wanted to continue the ladder:

- Three battalions and some support make a regiment (or, in modern times, a brigade).

- Three regiments plus support makes a division.

- Three divisions plus support makes a corps.

- A couple of corps' makes an army.

- A couple of armies makes an army group.

The British used a nice support unit called AGRA; Army Group Royal Artillery. This was an ad hoc grouping of several artillery regiments, available as a single unit when needed...

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...