There are big differences between players out there

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Originally posted by Capt. Vance Astrovich:

Well put. The Wargamer has a set of biases just different from the powergamers. I fall to the historical side of things, but I don't feel any problems with doing some things other purists call gamey. Like the Jeep Recon, or that fellow making the 2 in Mortar charge out to draw fire. Man, you do what you have to with your units to win the battle. War is like that. Now I think buying a ton of Assault Boats to draw fire is a lame and really Gamey thing, and I wouldn't play that game, but if it isn't outright cheating the system like that, then I am for it.

Hey, I think you can get quite a nice human wave attack with a huge number- of crews form abandoned or destroyed vehicles. Would that be a gamey tactic? I am about to try it.

Capt. Vance Astrovich

Many folks would consider it gamey. If I was your opponent, I would hope I have a couple of MGs in the right place to gun down those crews. Why? Two reasons come to mind. First, crews are lightly armed and they're not likely to be charging very long before they say in their best Cartman voice, "Screw you, I'm goin' home." Second, the more crews you lose, the more it counts against you when the AI tallies up points to determine who wins by how much. Crews are considered highly trained units that can fight another day if someone doesn't get them mowed down in a human wave assault. Because of this, the AI assigns them a higher point value than a rifle team or squad. Keeping crews alive can sometimes mean the difference between victory or defeat.

I'll only put crews on the line in a defensive situation where there is no way to get them out. Otherwise, I'll move them to safety. ... But that's just the way I approach it.

------------------

Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? -- Oddball

Crap -- Moriarty

Originally posted by Capt. Vance Astrovich:

...Now I think buying a ton of Assault Boats to draw fire is a lame and really Gamey thing, and I wouldn't play that game, but if it isn't outright cheating the system like that, then I am for it.

Actually, assault boats can't move unless there's someone in them. Besides, 10 points each is a lot to draw fire.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.