Timed Area Fire (again)

My unlimbering IG came under fire from a distant tank. So, I ordered a nearby flamethrower to area fire about 20m in front of the IG, with the notion of blocking LOS while they set the gun up (hey, I was desperate, and you know how IG crews can be).

The ft proceeded to dump all 9 squirts in the same spot. I would have ordered 1 or 2 max. Now he is a useless civilian for the rest of the game.

Here again a timer for area fire would have made the difference. Area Fire = 15 seconds would have accomplished this, and so many other little goals, conserving ammo and enhancing realism. It would also add punch and realism to an assault to hose a building with MG fire for half a turn, then have the infantry enter it, within the same turn.

It would have stopped this gentleman's rapid downhill slide from contributing member of the Wehrmacht to, well, hamster...

NOTE that in no way does this spoil the game for me. Nothing could do that. There are other features that are more important and my life will continue merrily whether this is addressed or not.

But an "official" comment would be welcome! Now I'll have a hot mug of shut-the-hell-up and go to work.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 07-18-2000).]

That is truly desperate. Ah, but there is very fine line between desperation and geniuis, no?

The point is, it must have worked. hehe

Your "uselss civilian" (citizen?) might not like hearing his commander grumbling about his idiotic (or is it intuitive?) use of ammunition for a pointless (ingenuis?) cause. Especially, when he was ordered to do so. tongue.gif

Give the man a bronze star or something commander! (Lest ye be court marshalled.)

In any event and back to the topic at hand, I somewhat agree with you on your amount of area fire/ammunition expense crusade only because it sucks but not because I think it is not realistic.

It's the price that we have to pay to run the show and make the tough decisions that we have to do as Generals (Or is it captains?).

Could you imagine what that guy was thinking, had it been real? "What was that captain? Say again? REALLY?? OH-BAH_KAY_BEE! You're the boss-man!" And then he let's it rip.

After 15 seconds of area fire, you yell, "Cease fire, cease fire!" to no avail.

All the while the grunt is thinking, "I'll show this lunatic some f***ing area fire!" SWOOOSH! SWOOOSH! SWOOOSH! SWOOSH! "What's that you say, Captain? Uh, I can't hear you! I'm busy area firing this pavement!" SWOOOSH! SWOOOSH! SWOOOSH!

"Maybe they'll send this lunatic to Bastogne for this! Area fire my a**!" SWOOOSH!

"They're ya go boss-man! Toasted concrete! Mind if I do my Citizen Kane impression now?"

hehehehe All in good fun, my friend! biggrin.gif

Yes it sucks, I agree, but such is the way the game is designed and I rather like it in a masochistic way. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Next time you order area fire just picture in your mind the above scene, bite your upper lip, and say to yourself, "I'm a freakin' genius!" (Or lunatic?) tongue.gif

Cheers!

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

[This message has been edited by kb9sog (edited 07-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by kb9sog (edited 07-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The ft proceeded to dump all 9 squirts in the same spot. I would have ordered 1 or

2 max. Now he is a useless civilian for the rest of the game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could have given a couple of pause orders; of course, that would have meant that the FT would have waited 30 seconds before starting to squirt...

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

You could have given a couple of pause orders; of course, that would have meant that the FT would have waited 30 seconds before starting to squirt...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henri, nice to see you here. I haven't been to Usenet in a while (this forum is better, but harder to keep up with).

But AFAIK Pause has no effect on targeting and firing, only movement.

Henri,

the pause command is for movement only.

It does not make a unit hold its fire.

Mark IV,

the area target problem is fixed in v1.03.

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.