Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

12th SS Panzer Division

"A vicious thunder started the attack and the men went forward into the the chest-high corn. The whole area was infested by machine gun nest and snipers A young german in a camouflaged uniform rose up from the field and a Scottish Sten gunner , reacting instintively , shot him down . As they passed the still writhing body , the Scotmen saw that the German was only a boy. But this boy was a member of the crack 12th SS Panzer Division, one of the best and most higly motivated units formed by the Hitler Youth to figh here in Normandy"

David Eshel -Bravery in Batle

Guest Germanboy

Can as well post that here. In a book I held in my hand the other day (published 2000 by Greenhill, forgotten the title, something like 'The German Army in Normandy') Geyr v. Schweppenburg is quoted (the book consists of transcripts of interviews with the German high-ranking officers involved in either OKW or Heeresgruppe West levels) as saying that he thought that 12th SS had a good CO (6/6/44) and very good though green ranks, but crappy NCOs and officers, compared to the other Panzerdivisions. I thought this was interesting, seeing that it seems to be an accepted wisdom that the officer and NCOs were the backbone of that division, due to the inexperience of the soldiers. But I guess it makes sense - they were transfers from 1st SS, and I doubt they would have sent the cream of the crop. Just a comment really.

------------------

Andreas