Sherman hit by arty

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

In my last game of CE one of my shermans got caught in a shower of Arty, it took a direct hit on top of the turret but the shell did no damage - Is this what you would expect? I am only asking because i do not know my onions when it comes to Arty, or shell types. When i played the Germans i targetted the Shermans hoping to get a lucky kill, maybe i should save the arty for the soft fleshy ones. Luckily it was buttoned up!!

CDIC

Just to follow on from this one, in what situation would you shoose to fire smoke instead of Shells from your arty when targetting a tank? in a previous thread the AI showered an immobile sherman in smoke, which was pretty smart because it was quite effective, but would it not have been better to fire Shells in the hope of knocking it out?

Cheers,

CDIC

Guest Seimerst

Depends on how big the arty is that is firing. Even the heavy stuff (150mm+) at best will disable- blow a track off, things like that. A direct hit might get a kill. But even the small stuff-- mortars, 75mm to 105 will cause the tank to button up and decrease his "situation awareness" so you might be able to sneak a really gusty AT team in close for a shot.

In CE the Germans have 81mm mortars... I'd imagine that if a 155 landed on a tank the results might be a little different wink.gif.

As to your second question... er... I might smoke an imobile tank if I did't have the firepower in place to destroy it right now (like a bunch of frindly tanks that I can aim right now). I might smoke anythying (ok... I smoke everything) to get friendlies out of the way and maybe give me time to organise my response to to whatever situation (smoke in the Valley is my friend...).

I see, i learn something everyday on this forum, i take it then that most of you would use the Arty in CE for the infantry? How do you know how effective it is? The number of kills registered for my spotter was zero, but i could see the shells exploding all around those yanks on the hill!

Thanks for the tip on smoke, i can try that next time.

CDIC

Guest -panzershreck-

US 16' naval guns (are they included in the game or not?) would literally flip Tiger VIE tanks over or bury them in so many tons of dirt that they had to be dug out.

Guest Seimerst

IIRC-- the kill stats are only the ones the firing unit "knows" it killed-- not the "God" version of reality. So most likely, it was more effective than the screen showed.

I once had the Tiger in LD lose its main gun to what could only have been a 60mm mortar shell. I understand mortars have been weakened versus armor, but this might only refer to their ability to knock out open-top vehicles.