Question RE Fanaticism

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for quite some time, but almost never post, probably because I don't actually know very detailed info about WW2 (plus, i like lurking near cesspools, you hear the strangest things in them sometimes). Anyways, I do have a question for all you grognards out there: how often do you have fanatic troops? Also, how easy are they to spot? I've only played against the AI to this point, and I'm never sure if I have one or not (it seems that for the most part when a squad does something "fanatical" like charge an entrenched .50 cal MG without orders, it gets chewed to pieces before I can even tell if the unit will break or not).

Would there perhaps be a way for BTS to let the player know exactly which units were fanatical in the AAR report (kind of like in Sid Meier's Gettysburg AAR)? that way you would not be able to use them in gamey ways, yet still benefit from that knowledge in future games. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

I was under the impression that "fanatic" was a current state of mind, or state of readiness. Meaning you don't have "fanatic" troops like you have regular, veteran, or elite troops, but more along the lines of a squad that might have seen their buddies just get mauled by a machine gun and suddenly become "fanatic," taking it upon themselves to charge the position in vengeance. This would be a temporary status, it woudln't carry over to another battle.

Thanks for the reply, and yes i do realize that fanatics do not carry over from battle to battle, but pg 77 and 117 of the manual strongly suggest that a unit will be fanatic for the duration of the scenario. Personally, I haven't really noticed any fanatical behavior, so I just thought it could be useful if after the scenario the game told me which of my troops (if any) were fanatics. That would basically let me say "ohhh, no wonder that squad was acting like it did!" and in the future it'd (hopefully) be a little easier for me to recognize fanatical squads. I admit this is a really minor point, but i was just curious.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Well, try fighting a battle with Regular troops against regular troops, then play the same battle with all of one side 50% fanatical. You will see whole platoons, march through nasty fire and fight almost to the last man. Your casualtys might be higher, but you will really be moving the enemy back. hehehe, Quite a diffrence.

I've experienced fanaticism once in a PBEM. I know it just had to be fanaticism because of what I saw in the orders screen in between turns.

Situation: German troops (me) are a counter attacking a hill held by American engineers. My SMG squads are taking heavy casualites and cannot fight for a closer position to bring more firepower onto the enemy.

At the end of the turn, my HQ for the SMG squad (who was in full defilade from the enemy) breaks from his cover and begins to rush the enemy on the hill. Turn ends.

Now I'm thinking, I didn't plot any moves for my men on the previous turn. Why is my HQ unit buggering towards danger? Click on HQ unit, he is in a run order towards the Americans. I then take the plotted way points in the orders phase and reverse them back to his cover for the next turn.

Start of new turn.

The HQ unit, again, ignores my orders and rushes at the Americans on the hill. I zoomed in on the HQ unit during this action. Basically, he ran to within 25 meters of the enemy, tossed a grendade, then retreated to a small patch of trees near the road of the hill without taking a casualty in the process. Amazing to behold.

Of course, the American Zippo team "cured" him of any more fanaticism for the next 4 turns. hehe

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES