Jagdpanzer IV/70 75/0

IIRC some versions did have the bow MG. Later production models had a conical cap in place of the MG. I haven't used them yet. I don't know what the production numbers were or why BTS may have chosen not to represent the one with the MG.

Actually, none of the Jagdpanzer IV's had a fixed-mount MG. The early Jagdpanzer's had twin openings covered by conical caps that could be swung and guns fired out of them. Later models only had one on the left side of the front superstructure (looking at the vehicle from the front). To be honest, I can't remember if MG34s were provided to be used through the openings or if the crew's submachine guns were to be used for this purpose.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 07-12-2000).]

OK here goes:

Jagdpanzer IV (early) = One 75mm L/48 PaK 39 (79 rounds); One 7.92mm MG42

Jagdpanzer IV (late) = One 75mm L/48 PaK 39 (79 rounds), One 7.92mm MG42

Panzer IV/70 (V) = One 75mm L/70 PaK42 (55 rounds), One 7.92mm MG42

Panzer IV/70 (A) = One 75mm L/70 PaK42, One 7.92mm MG42

Literature:

Spielberger: "Der Panzerkampfwagen IV und seine Abarten"

Spielberger: "Leichte Jagdpanzer"

Chamberlain and Doyle: "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII "

Fleischer & Eiermann: "Die Deutsche Panzerjägertruppe 1935-1945"

Might be the lack of the ballmount lead to the decision not to model the MG on the JgPzIV L/70 (V). The MG had to be fired through the opening with the conical cap on the tanks right front, which usually was closed. Or alternatively it was fired using a bipod from the roof of the tank. Of course only if the tank wasn´t buttoned.

jpz4f-0.jpg

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

[This message has been edited by The DesertFox (edited 07-12-2000).]

Thanks for the clarification. I guess they could use the MG42 through the opening because its square barrel guard didn't have the same problems it had with the kugelblend.

BTW, thanks for the photo, I haven't seen that specimen before. It looks almost as though that is the original paint, or at least they did a good job repainting it. Where is this vehicle displayed? It is also interesting that a Hetzer is sitting beside it. It would be a great opportunity to do a good side-by-side visual comparison of the vehicles' dimensions.

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 07-12-2000).]

Nope it´s not the original paint, but they used colours and schemes very close to the original colours. Much better IMO than the futuristic schemes you can see on some tanks at Bovington or Saumur.

This tank is located among a lot of others at Panzermuseum Munster, Lower-Saxony in Germany.

Here´s their webpage:

http://www.panzermuseum.com

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Figured it was probably Munster, and yes I have heard that their repainting jobs are generally better than what you see at Bovington or Saumur. Haven't been to any of them, so I can't speak from experience. But at least they all enclose their vehicles unlike the U.S.' largest repository, Aberdeen Proving Grounds. That place almost brings me to tears when I see the condition of the vehicles, especially considering they have some of the rarest vehicles to be found anywhere, like the hydrostatic (at least I think that's what it is) drive Pzr IV.

The Munster Jgdpzr IV would look good down at the Patton Museum, which is only 30 miles or so from me. I heard that they just recently traded for a Jgdpzr (V L/70) but they have yet to display it. I believe they traded with Bovington, but I'm not sure. The Patton museum has a bunch of vehicles in storage but they display only a small percentage of them. A couple years ago I got to scour some of their back warehouses and was amazed at some of the vehicles they don't display. Pity. Thanks again for the photo and link.