Proposals for Future War Films

Guest smbutler

Guest smbutler

What battle, theater, or War should Hollywood

take up next?

I've got several proposals:

1-"The Harlem Hell Fighters" -a look at the African American regiment that received three

regimental Crox de Guerres in WWI --and received nothing but abuse and neglect from their American leaders.

2- "The Reason Why"-- a recreation of the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War. The intense bitter rivalry between the Earl of Lucan and the Earl of Cardigan would provide an interesting background.

3-A HISTORICALLY ACCURATE look at Guadacanal or Tarawa. ("The Thin Red Line" sucked).

4-A remake of Go for Broke that focused primarily on the fight to save the Lost Battalion. The film could re-examine the Army's motives for sacrificing so many Japanese-Americans.....

5- "Mosby's Rangers". An account of Civil War

guerilla warfare...

[This message has been edited by smbutler (edited 06-16-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Monte Cassino, intense fighting, moral questions, amazing landscape - but I doubt American movie companies would touch that one, no US troops in it, apart from the pilots pounding the monastery, and the desastrous Rapido (?) river crossing attempt of the 36th ID.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smbutler:

2- "The Reason Why"-- a recreation of the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War. The intense bitter rivalry between the Earl of Lucan and the Earl of Cardigan would provide an interesting background.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FADE IN TO

Universal Studios Production Department. A comfortable office with film memorabilia on the wall. On a table is a bottle of Evian and a mirror with lines of a white, powdery substance. A PRODUCER is hearing a pitch from a WRITER. A LACKEY is also in the room.

WRITER: ...intense conflict between Lucan and Cardigan culminating in a spectacular charge leading to the destruction of the Light Brigade.

PRODUCER: It's got a lot of things going for it, but it needs star power. How about Costner as Lucan and Tom Hanks as the sweater guy?

WRITER: Well, I ...

LACKEY: That's brilliant, boss!

PRODUCER: And I don't know about this charge business, either. We need to give the audience something to feel good about.

(beat)

Wait! I got it. Steven Sagal air-drops in and single-handedly kicks the Crimeans' asses and saves all the horses that would have died in the charge.

WRITER: But historically that's ...

LACKEY: That's brilliant!

PRODUCER: And I want you to write in something for Whoopie Goldberg. I owe her a favor.

WRITER: But she's...

LACKEY: Brilliant!

PRODUCER: Well, I think it's a done deal.

(motions to LACKEY who moves under desk. PRODUCER leans back in chair.)

Get me the re-writes by tonight and I'll option this baby for 500K.

WRITER: That's Brilliant!

LACKEY: mmm, slrp, mmm, gag

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 06-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 06-16-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

LACKEY: mmm, slrp, mmm, gag

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL - maybe we should get into writing a book together, but then again, I don't think you need me. Well done Ethan.

------------------

Andreas

ROFL!

Also, remember that the 34th ID was involved around Monte Cassino, but I still agree that Hollywood would not do it.

Nor would they probably make a movie solely about the Poles at Driel and Sosabowski's many confrontations with the Brit staff at "Market-Garden". Now that'd be interesting...

------------------

Guest Mirage2k

Have there been many (or any) movies on the fighting in Stalingrad? That's something I'd be interested in seeing.

-Andrew

There should be a movie titled "Stalingrad" in the foreign movies section of the US Blockbuster chain rental stores. Or maybe a net search can find it.

Apparently the same folks who did "Das Boot" (one of the top five war movies on my list, if not THE top) also did this film. I can't quite give the Stalingrad film the same level of "thumbs up", but it's got some interesting moments. The scene where some dug-in Germans in the snow have to defend against some Soviet T-34's (with Soviet infantry riding along) is pretty intense.

"The Angel of Marye's Heights" - A Move about the fine young Confederate soldier who after the fight at Fredericksburg went out and gave dieing, wounded soldiers one last drink of his water. He was then killed at latter in the war.

"Boyington's Bastards" - The real story not the TV Non Historical version of the VMF 214 sqaudron and its Leade Maj Greg "Pappy" Boyington

"Fox of the Desert" - What else but Rommell's story

"The Red Baron" - What else The Red Baron story

"Little Napoleon" - General McClellan and his days of being duped by the Confederate armies and his trusty info from Pinkerton

"The Wizard of the Saddle" - Forrest and his side of the story. This movie would be doomed to fail because of Forrest's history

------------------

"Just Give Me the Prize" Kurgen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dell Wade:

"The Angel of Marye's Heights" - A Move about the fine young Confederate soldier who after the fight at Fredericksburg went out and gave dieing, wounded soldiers one last drink of his water. He was then killed at latter in the war.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sgt. Rowland Kirkland, I think to recall his name. It wasn't just that he risked his life to bring water to wounded soldiers in "no mans land" between the opposing forces, but more that he showed charity to enemy (Union) soldiers because he couldn't just stand and listen to their cries for aid anymore. He even pleaded on up to his divisional commander to get permission to go help them.

I've been to to Kirkland's monument at Fredericksburg. I've also stood near the ground where he was killed at Chickamauga in 1863, hundreds of miles away.

I'm sorry to ramble about this, but in your mentioning Kirkland, Dell, it almost brings a tear to this old man's eye.

I'm actually a Unionist by bias and ancestral linkage, but I've also had high regard for the Confederate general Pat Cleburne. His story is definitely one that deserves to be told too.

Guest smbutler

Very cool, y'all--

I've got a photograph of the monument to Kirkland hanging on my office door. You know, it REALLY is a good idea for a screen play.

And, by the way Spook, I'm a southerner who grew up in a house plastered with paintings of Lee and Jackson, but I have come to have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration

for many UNion soldiers, especially Joshua Chamberlin. Not only was he one hell of a soldier, but he was a professor of rhetoric --like me! But seriously, he was a brave and compassionate leader off of the field as well.

"Not a day goes by when I do not pray for my enemy. " Robert E. Lee

"Here lies my vanquished enemy, a man as divine as myself" Walt Whitman

....Wow, that got awfully profound all of the sudden smile.gif