panzerschrecks

I've seen posts about a bug in the beta demo which causes german infantry armed with shreck to be overly disinclined to engage nearby armor if there is american infantry nearby for it to target. I had a slightly different problem.

In playing LD, I had a veteran squad armed with one shreck run to a spot 22 meters from the side of an immobillized hellcat. Like I asked him to, he target the hellcat instead of a nearby infantry unit. However, rather than use his shreck, he began throwing grenades at the hellcat (which made pretty explosions, but didn't do much of anything else). By the end of the turn he had hit the hellcat with three or four grenades and still hadn't used his schreck. Does this seem like rational behavior?

Guest TOBRUK

Hi Bazooka,

First; you probably mean PanzerFaust since there are no shrecks in that scenario. And there has been mention of a reluctance of these squads to use the weapon in the demo, but that is apparently resolved in the final game according to posts by reliable people in other threads (I forget exactly where; you can do a search).

Second: I have had Hellcats put out of action by as few as one hand grenade. Their armor is somewhat light. Your squad was doing as you directed and assaulting the tank.

Regards....

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, use of the panzerfaust was hindered by a variable that needed tweaking. As for not knocking out the Hellcat with grenades, sounds like you got a couple of bad throws smile.gif A single grenade can knock out a Hellcat, but it has to hit it just right.

Steve

Well, I lost my last Hellcat in LD to a panzerfaust -- unless one of the Krauts in the squad could lob a grenade 30 or so meters.

Didn't Napoleon say something about the desirability of lucky commanders?

As I used to say at poker games, "if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

Guest hunt52

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Didn't Napoleon say something about the desirability of lucky commanders?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know about Napoleon, but Cicero, in his speech about the command of Gnaius Pompey againt Mithradates and Tigranes lists virtues for a commander to have in ascending order:

1. Knowledge of Military Matters

2. Exceptoinal Courage

3. Most Renowned Authority

4. Really Good Luck

It seems the Romans at least recognized the role of luck on the battlefield placing it above every other factor in a general.

(Sorry for the Latin Geeky post... redface.gif )

- Bill