Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Any mods to speed up gameplay?

Alright,

I am in a p&ss off mood... My laptop was recently fitted with win2k and CM runs 30% slower!

When a medium size map has a lot of buildings or forests, it starts getting to me... And yes, I'm trying to use short horizon, few trees etc.

Has anybody seen any speed-up from loading any lowres mods out there? Which ones?

I used grass lowres and it somehow improved it, but forests and buildings just don't cut it.

Just thinking of all those nice mods out there makes me fume... mad.gif

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Yep, it's called Pentium III. You'll also benefit from the 256 meg RAM mod and the 64 meg 3D graphics card overlay. smile.gif

Hehe, dunno what to tall ya about Win2K. I wasn't gonna chance it myself and I'm glad now I didn't. With Microsoft I've found it's best to let every one else do the beta testing and allow for a clear performance record to emerge before I invest my moola.

Seriously though, in your case it sounds like (though this ain't what ya wanna hear), you should reduce your mods to what is most important to you, and let it go at that. Otherwise, I could only suggest playing around with Gunslingers Tonedown mods. Possibly they don't use as much horsepower. Not sure, I'm one of the color nuts. Now know as the Brighters, not to be confused with the Blighters, who are out British cousins. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-28-2000).]

Thanks Bruno.

BTW it is PIII 500, 128MB, ATI AGP 8BM card, and yes, win2k is a hog! mad.gif

Reinstalled the game BMPs from the CD and it's much better. Hey BTS, thanks for providing low-res common denominator textures (never believed I'd say that).

The only mods I've added so far are the much better soldier faces, the fire & explosion mod and the flags mod.

It ain't so bad looking either, I like the tones on the laptop, Gunslingers (hey there, joking smile.gif) were a tad depressing on the LCD. Originals with Gamma down, they're OK!

I wil have at look at TGN trying to get some cool low-res vehicle mods and that's it.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Thanks Bruno.

BTW it is PIII 500, 128MB, ATI AGP 8BM card, and yes, win2k is a hog! mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to me, the biggest problem is the 8MB video card. Can't hold a lot of textures with only 8MB. So with Win2K being a system hog, it's pulling resources away from video/system memory sharing, I think.

Coralsaw, if you want you can have a copy of my extreme low res textures for terrain and buildings:

Basic grass (and snow, once I get to it); 1 pixel each.

Most other terrain; 32x32 pixels, 16 colours.

Buildings, brush and stonewalls; original size, 256 colours.

(Then I can use higher resolution for the units. smile.gif )'

Cheers

Olle

Olle,

Yes please. I want exactly that, to be able to use hi-res for vehicles.

Can you email me the terrains (my email is in my profile, pls make attachments 1MB max per email), or give me an FTP address to get them.

Thanks Olle!

------------------