Need your thoughts on this observation.

Hi all,

on Saturday I whipped up a small battle/training scenario called "crossroads". Basiclly, its a last stand type of mission that pits two companies of Armor on the attack vs an understrength platoon of Armor (dug in) supported by a platoon of Infantry. This mission brought out the best/worst in any tanks that where assigned to defend these important crossroads. I found that for the German side, 2 initial King Tigers (dug in) could hold and win the mission vs the Ai (on +3) Different combos yealded differnt results...my question/observation is when I reversed the roles and had the Americans on the defence with the Germans attacking with 2 companies of Uber tanks! As you can probably guess, only combos of Sherm Jumbos and Pershings had a chance. Actually, 2 Pershings would get spanked...Jumbos where the way to go. So during one of these tests/missions this is what happened...the initial setup was 2 Sherm Jumbo 76's (dug in) with a plt of inf, 4 bazookas, and 2 .50 cal HMG's. I gave the Jumbos 10 extra tungsten rounds each for a total of 17. As the battle started, the Jumbos made quick work of the leading Panthers and Pnz IV, they both used t rounds exclusively. At the beginning of the next turn, both Jumbos had 15 t rounds each. They spotted a tank rumbling out of the smoke cloud that other German vehicles had

"popped" in the previous turn after the initial ambush. This tank turned out to be a King Tiger and the Jumbos wasted no time in engaging it. As a matter of fact, one of the Jumbos scored 3 consectutive hits on the T REX but to my surprise, the crew had switched to normal AP rounds. 4 of the brittle rounds broke up on the heavy turret armor and 2 simply missed. One of the Jumbos paid for its mistake with its life and the other managed to land one of the regular AP shells into a weak spot and knocked the KT out. What happend next was where I became confused. At first, when I saw that the Jumbos had switched to regular AP rounds, I thought they where trying to conserve them, but as soon as the KT was knocked out, 2 Stug's managed to push their way past the burning Panther's and began hunting towards the remaining Jumbo. The next 4 shots the Jumbo took where all t rounds. He managed to kill both Stugs before the turn ended. What do you guys think of that? Why would the Jumbos use regular AP rounds vs the mighty KT and use t rounds vs a tank they could easily take out with regular AP rounds?

------------------

One shot...One Kill