Sneak vs. Crawl?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Sneak vs. Crawl

What's the difference? Which provides the least chance to be seen by the enemy? It seems, to me, that crawling would, as it provides the smallest silhouette possible.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unofficial answer through independent test(i.e. me testing it...):

Sneak works best in trees, or other areas of cover, whereas crawl works best across open ground where there is no real cover.

Sneak is faster, I believe, and units don't fatigue as quick, so use it over crawl if possible.

Another benefit of crawling in open terrain(or anywhere else for that matter as far as I can tell) is that your units aren't upright and exposed for the first burst of fire from a hidden enemy before they hit the dirt and return fire(or, god forbid, run away and expose themselves further). I'm basing the assumption that sneaking troops are more exposed on test results showing a greater casualty rate and morale reduction over crawling troops.

It's still very taxing on your troops, which may or may not outweigh the bonus depending on the situation.

I only use the crawl order if I want to disengage troops which are under fire to a safer place. I rarly use it to move MGs, mortar units, etc. into position. Units acting under this order tire very easily.

Sneak: I use only if I want to be sure that my moving troops do not open fire while they advance, to prevent that they give away their position. They shoot only if they are under fire so it is definitly not the right order to engage the enemy. Usually I finish the sneak order with a hide order.

Move: I use this order usually when combat contact is close or I suspect the enemy to be near. Units under this order seem to fire as soon as the enemy is in LOS.

Run: To bring a squad from cover A to cover B, often followed by a sneak order so that the enemy will loose LOS to the squad. Also to enter close combat.

Hope this helps

Markus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Run: To bring a squad from cover A to cover B, often followed by a sneak order so that the enemy will loose LOS to the squad. Also to enter close combat.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Markus, that was a big help. Thx! biggrin.gif

About this, how do I engage troops in close combat? What range does it occur at... sadly, none of this is in the manual. frown.gif

Thanks for your input too!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Sneak: I use only if I want to be sure that my moving troops do not open fire while they advance, to prevent that they give away their position.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confused.gifconfused.gif

From what I've read in the manual, Sneak is the leg equivalent of Hunt, i.e. troops are most likely to shoot while sneaking, lesser so while walking, running or crawling.

As usual they rarely stop to shoot until they reach a waypoint though...

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

confused.gifconfused.gif

From what I've read in the manual, Sneak is the leg equivalent of Hunt, i.e. troops are most likely to shoot while sneaking, lesser so while walking, running or crawling.

As usual they rarely stop to shoot until they reach a waypoint though...

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Olle

Well, my conclusions came from personel experiance with the game.

In my first games I tried the sneak order to establish combat contact but usually the result was that the squad sneaks towards the plotted waypoint and only shoots if it recieves fire ( which is usually disastrous at close ranges encountered in woods for example).

However, if you use the sneak order and plot the waypoint exactly so far that your squad get in LOS of the enemy, your chances that you close in unnoticed by he enemy are better which results in you getting the important first volley.

One of the greatest disadvantages when using this kind of micromanagement ( i.e. "I must plot my sneak order in this direction for exactly 9 meters to get LOS") is that enemy infantry moves sometimes and are not in the position where they were during your order phase.

The drawback of using the move order to make contact is that the Firepower is penalized.

After all, I know only one man who was able to fire the german LMG from the hip while moving and hit something.

Dr Brian

AFAIK, close combat occurs only at very close ranges ( I guess 10 meters or less).

You must be really careful if you want to engage the enemy at close quarters. Charging an unsupressed enemy squad in good order is bloody for both sides - if you were lucky.

Also check out if the squads you are planing to use for the assault have LOS to the enemy.

If they have not do not use the run order for your entire movement plot as their awareness is reduced ( they don't see so much) and then blunder into the enemy - breakfeast time!

Use different movement orders for your attack path, a short move order at a point from which your squad can see the enemy to be attacked and then again a run order for the final path.

Better yet, take the time to prepare your attack: Postion a platoon with which you plan to assault where you can see the enemy. Lay down surpressive fire for a turn to see if they duck their heads ( then you know your fire has some effect) and then clean the house, foxhole or whatever.