Screening Battle Set-Up

Jeff Gilbert

I am deep in the process of designing a "Screening Battle" as one of the most oft remarked things is failing the recon battle.

So, before I go too far, I would like some ideas on what you all may want to see. I an using map781c as the base so we've got 15km North to South to fight on and 30km deep. Also, this will be multiplayer.

What I am soliciting for is possible force structure(s) [OB] by country. Looking mainly at recon/scout type organizations. I've already got the US Armored Cav and OPFOR Recon Bn & Rgmt. I would like others ...

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Back in the cold war, the Bundeswher had a pretty good divisional recon battalion. Good mix of tanks, Luchs scout cars, and Fuchs APC with infantry. I always wondered how it would do against a layered russian defensive belt.

Also, I'm not sure of the current US heavy division Recon Squadron, but old school was 2 troops of 19 Bradleys each and 2 troops of air cav with AH-1's.

[ January 17, 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: DS CavScout ]

Don't forget that regular Bn Task Forces fight their own counter-recon battles. One variation of Gallagher I enjoy playing is to have only a company team plus scouts deploy and fight in the gray setup box, while the main Bn defense sets up farther west. Goal is to take out Red's regimental recon and disrupt the lead battalion.

Scenarios along that line would be good. Light screening forces and lots of maneuver room. Counter-recon is not just a Cav mission. ;)

Light Division Cav Squadrons used to have two Air Cav Troops and One Ground Troop.

The Ground Troop was 8 Tow Humvees and 12 with light machineguns.

I think each air troop was 4 Cobras and 6 OH-58s.

There was a plan to add a second ground troop if the division was deployed but I don't recall that it lead to anything.

Eventually the Air Troops were to upgrade to Apaches and then replace all 10 Aircraft with 8 Comnaches but who knows when that will happen.

This sounds like an interesting scenario. What victory conditions could you come up with that reward effective reconnaissance/counter-reconnaissance?