Fionn: A request for you....

** No spoilers here **

I recently stumbled on the "Fire & Maneuver" training scenario on the CD, and even after several attempts (all against the default setup), I haven't come close to developing an effective strategy.

How about some tips / pointers? As the German commander, what would your initial plan of attack be?

Or, better yet -- how 'bout doing an AAR (perhaps against the AI)?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sbg2112:

** SPOILER **

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno why this should be a spoiler, since this is a training scenario, but anyway... redface.gif:

This is a very difficult sceanrio and all I managed to get on my third try was a draw., although I kicked the Germans off the map (I lost too many vehicles).

You need to attack up the right side road, and quickly wipe out the defenders near the start line. You also need to be careful about that minefield, which killed a large number of halftracks. The trick is to wipe out those fellas while avoiding getting all of your tanks shot up by those $%#$@@%$ AT guns on the ridge.

So you have to use the small folds in the terrain to keep your vehicles under partial cover while they engage the AT guns at the top (the terrain grid helps here); once you spot the AT guns, pepper them with mortars and when they are suppressed, use your tanks to finish them off (but manage your artillery carefully). When you spot an AT gun, you can consider masking it with smoke, but you jave a limited amount and you will need some later when the Allied Tanks killers show up.

What I did was to rush the nearby infantry position with tanks, halftracks and infantry, paying particular attention to the two bazookas while keeping as much out of sight of the AT guns as possible. Once this is over, you can expect a heavy artillery bombardment, so you need to gitdahellout towards the woods ahead as ASAP, leading with the infantry supported by tanks and halftracks.But you will be advancing against an enemy, so you need to do so in an organized manner.

The Allied TDs are open-topped, and if you time it right, you can destroy a number of them with artillery and mortars, and blast some Allied infantry at the same time. Your infantry is tough veterans but the Allied infantry will run like rabbits when they take 50% casualties, whereas your infantry will fight to the last if they remain within range of a commander.

Don't go after the left flank flag until you have wiped out all or most of the AT guns and TDs on the ridge. I easily took the left flag with a beat-up infantry platoon supported by 3 halftracks and some sniping from my 2 remaining tanks on the other flank. After destroying the last TDs on the ridge (it was a close fight and I think I got the last 3 with mortar fire), I advanced two platoons with about 75% casualties against the Allied infantry, using my halftrack MGs for support as well as my 2 tanks.At that point, I had 7 halftracks, 2 tanks and 1 immobilized tanks plus 3 beaten-up infantry platoons, and I couldn't have won without the halftracks. Keep them far from the enemy infantry, against which their 50 cal MGs are extremely effective at long range. Then an Allied Jabo showed up and destroyed 3 of the 4 halftracks on the left flank and one on the right, but it was too late, since by that time, the British were in full retreat.

When you get to the top of the ridge on the right, there will be a few British survivors in the wheat field (clear them out with infantry), and a platoon around the house with the flag, which you should be able to clear with one tank and a halftrack. You might have to take the other flag with a halftrack if time is short.

Your main dangers in this scenario are in order: 1) the Guns on the ridge can easily kill a dozen tanks and innumerable halftracks if not dealt with; 2)the minefiled can be murder on vehicles, and I lost more than 6 halftracks and 2 immobilized tanks driving throug it; 3)the British have a LOT of heavy artillery, and if they catch your forces bunched together, kiss your ass goodbye (in one game, the artillery caught my reinforcements at their starting positions and almost wiped them out...)A couple of moves after you take the nearest flag, expect heavy artillery -in my game, I was already gone and they hit air smile.gif; 4)the 2 bazookas on the right nearest flag can quickly killl 3 or 4 vehicles if not suppressed ASAP.

It bears repeating that you need to expoit the terrain to the full, using both woods for cover and small folds in the terrain when moving in the open near the center. And don't underestimate the usefulness of halftracks once Allied heavy weapons are neutralized.

Henri

spoiler

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Sorry, still not Fionn, but my take on it. I achieved a draw on my only try, and believe it's quite beatable (is that a word?). Thought I'd won the thing, but apparently burned through a few too many AFVs while taking the hills. The trick in my opinion is good use of artillery assets early on, the AT guns are quite vulnerable to your offboard spotters. Of course, you may have to lose a vehicle or two just to flush them. Also, I may be confused as Henri mentioned Brits, but I could swear I fought Americans.?? I agree with him completely though that this scenario is all about moving in short rushes taking advantage of all the little hills, dips, and trees. Also, I think it worked better trying to coordinate movement so most of your forces pop into and out of view together, to avoid being ripped up piecemeal. Lastly, try to not get into a shoot out with the Allied AFVs until you are close enough for high percentage shots, and only after you coordinate so all your remaining tanks are firing in unison.

Good, tough training scenario.

** probly a spoiler for training scenario "Fire & Maneuver" **

Well, after talking with my PBEM friend (who was having a much better time with this scenario), I realized that the real challenge to this scenario is finding a way to do effective recon WITHOUT losing too much along the way.

I agree with the responses in that short dashes from bound to bound are the best way to move up the map, but I don't know how one should do this while meeting the challenge I just described.

I guess the trick is to make sure your recon is sufficiently backed by the support weapons (mortars, etc.) and even the armor, but it's quite difficult to find good places for those units and move them in there without them getting hammered.

So, Fionn, how would you approach this situation?