Everyone Read Please.

Guest MantaRay

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G4A:

Supertanker, I completely agree with that, although I actually liked the M1 copy protection. smile.gif But what is this "key system" that id claim to use. Haven't all their games been cracked and pirated a 1000 times?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each copy of Q3A has a unique, randomly-generated alpha-numeric key. When you start an online game (the whole point of Q3A), it goes to Activision's (the publisher) authentication server and checks your key (I'm not sure if it uses a list, or checks to see if the key matches the key generation algorithm). If it doesn't pass, or is a duplicate of one currently being used, it locks you out for a few hours and the game fails to start. In a recent interview (try www.shugashack.com if you want to find it), id claimed that nobody has cracked the system, and that all pirate key generator programs are fake (often just doing the usual trojan horse installation). I think warez versions still can be played solo, but that doesn't do a hardcore player much good.

I must admit that M1TP1 did a good job of teaching me Warsaw Pact AFV profiles, which comes in handy at parties sometimes: "No, that is a T-55, since the fume extractor is up at the muzzle of the main gun."