Driver (Viper) update question

Quick (possibly dumb) question. Preparing to update my Viper 770 Ultra card to be completely ready for Combat Mission, and have been reading the process...including other's experiences posted here. I noted I am supposed to uninstall InControl Tools before doing the update. Question: Is it possible that the InControl Tools are not installed? The card was installed on the new computer by the manufacturer and I've never added them. I'll be damned if I can find them anywhere. Am I not looking in the right place, or is it possible they were not installed to start with. Sure don't want to mess this thing up and lose precious CM time.

Well, a situation similar occurred to me.

I have the latest driver 4.12.01.0368 on my desktop which came out 2/03/00. Now...

I changed my display driver back to Standard VGA like its readme said to do. Then I double-clicked the little Diamond icon on my desktop to install the new version.

Well guess what?? It didn't work properly. Never got my little diamond icon thingy in the system tray and couldn't change the color pallete or resolution.

What I ended up doing was having to re-install the original drivers and ICT99 from the CD, to get everything working properly again. So my suggestion is to get a hold of the original Viper installation CD and re-install the original drivers if ICT99 isn't on the computer.

Then to later update the drivers, just double-click on the new driver icon from Windows just as you would start any other program. The new driver version installs without a hitch.

Actually, there is another DirectX 7 compatible driver that Diamond doesn't have up on it site anymore. I still have a copy of this if you want me to email it to ya. It's like 4.12.01.0353 instead of 0368.

Please Note: The newest version takes away some of the tweaking options that the 353 and original drivers had. Like overclocking and anti-alaising, I think. But I think the anti-alaising is automatic now or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MH:

Is it possible that the InControl Tools are not installed? The card was installed on the new computer by the manufacturer and I've never added them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is very possible and probably even likely.

Go to the Diamond page and download them there http://www.diamondmm.com/customer_caretechnical_supportdrivers.htm