How do they aim?

I was wondering how the StuG's aim their anti-personal mortars? I had one throw one out at my infantry in the woods and knock out 3 men. (I apologize if I am not more specific but I am away from home and have no refrences in front of me).

Carefully.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Well they don't fire it until infantry is close. That gives it a good chance to work. HE in close quarters to humans will almost always work.

Well I can't say for certain. The mortar in the picture would appear to be target toward the rear quadrant of the tank. Yes, it will kill friendlies. It can't tell them appart.

Try doing a search on "Nahverteidigungswaffe". You might also try various misspellings...

There are pictures floating around the web, but there appears to be some confusion/debate about so elements of it.

IIRC, it has a tube mounted in a plate that can swivel so that it can be fired in any direction. In some versions there seems to be a little mortar-like thing that's breach-loaded and fired with a pin. In others there seems to be a flare-pistol-like gun that the crew pokes up the tube and fires. Either way it can be fired in just about any direction. I'm sure if you look it up, or if a grog shows up they'll point out my errors, but that's the general idea.

Chrisl,

Thanks for the insight. I was really curious as to how it could be effective in combat without a manner of aiming. It seems to work well in CM as an anti-personal device. Does anyone know how accurate it was in WWII? Was it employed extensively? I will check the thread in the morning because work waits for no man. Good night to all and thank you for your replies.

Chrisl,

Thank you for the insight. I was wondering how the Germans used it in combat without having the ability to aim, I guess they did. It worked very well in CM against my infantry. Does anyone know how well it worked in WWII? I will check the thread in the morining as work awaites me. Good night to all and thanks for the replies.

You can see pictures of one in hte IWM Pictures thread I started.

From its appearance in the Jagdpanther it is roughly 6cm or more in diameter and fired by a pin.

as for damage, imagine a large tin can full of nails and explosive exploding some feet in the air to the left or right of a tank or back.. or whatever I guess. That's roughly what it's like, and it's pretty damaging I think!

PeterNZ

For more info, check out

www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw.htm

There is a ton of information there, but IIRC, the Nahver...waffe smile.gif was on a 360 degree swivel at a fixed angle to the ground. You ought to check that link out and previous threads to verify, though.

engy

------------------

"He who makes war without many mistakes has not made war very long."

Napoleon Bonaparte