Two quick comments/questions

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

For those who wish to answer or help me out, feel free to reply.

1) Building sizes visually are not the size they are in the "game code" itself. I've recently seen enemy units target and shoot my units through houses. It tends to happen when the LOS is slightly close to a diagonal edge.

It's fine to say "It saw through a window and shot through the window" as an excuse, but if there's going to be windows to be shot through their ought to be a visible representation of it. How can one possibly plan ambushes and other surprises with no way of knowing if the enemy is going to shoot you through the house?

It's a pain in the butt, because you can spend lots of time planning a position that APPEARS to be out of LOS behind a building, but then you quickly loose the unit as soon as the game starts up.

If there is an easy way to fix it, I'd like to request it be done. The idea is good, but we need a better visual indication. If in the planning phase the LOS is orange, it should stay that way during the game processing. Windows etc. should be incorporated in the LOS line.

If its a really difficult thing to fix, I realize there are other priorities smile.gif

2) When a unit is ordered to target an area, it should remember that order.

Recently, I had ordered a unit to target an important area to offer cover fire. During action phase, an enemy tank popped into view momentarily. This caused my unit to switch targets from the assigned area and lock onto the enemy tank. Very shortly after (within a second or two) the enemy tank disappeared from view. What does my tank do? Forgets what it was supposed to be doing in the first place! Offering cover fire!

The tanks should some how "remember" their original target area orders and revert to them, rather than just sitting idly by while comrades get chewed to pieces.

I've had related problems with LOS/LOF at building corners and small bumps in the terrain. Sometimes there is LOS between your tank and a target, but when the tank fires the shells consistently get caught on the corner of a building or a tiny bump of terrain. I generally just write it off to the vagaries of war, bad aim, and accidents on the battle. The last time it happend my tank was dumping rounds into a friendly-occupied building for a couple of turns. The squad inside was fine until the building collapsed. I wrote it off to my own stupidity (there's a lot of dangerous stuff flying around, sometimes you hurt yourself).

The second issue is a bit tougher-- I can imagine problems like: tank is area firing, new threat comes in, turret swivels and tank fires, threat disappears, turret swivels back, another (same?) threat rolls through the same area. Stupid turret is pointed the wrong way!! Why didn't it stay pointed at the location of a known armored threat, rather than continuing area fire? I suspect that the burden on the AI is pretty tough to sort this out.

If you hide a unit behind the centre of a building it won't be seen. 'Windows' are only factored in while shooting - it's possible that a shell will go right through a house, but this isn't because the firing unit has LOS, it's just chance.

As for shells hitting the corners of houses - in reality I don't think a gunner would risk putting shells right past a friendly-held building - it's just common sense.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Guest Pillar

Glad I'm not alone here.

The first problem for me is more a cover issue. I like to hide vehicles behind houses. When it appears they are out of view as far as all available tools in the interface (including "eyeing it"), and then an enemy tank goes right ahead on it's own initiative (TacAI, not the opponent himself) and shoots through the building it's a bit dissappointing smile.gif

I can see your point on the latter issue. However, even with that in mind, they should then keep the turret trained on the area where the enemy tank last dissappeared, should they not?

What is actually happening is they are reverting back to the "duh" state of facing the turret towards the front of the tank. That is, they are NOT continuing with their area target orders, NOR are they keeping the turret trained on the suspected enemy AFV location!

Of all choices! smile.gif