TacOps on Mac OS X?

Robert Radford

I have no reports of any problems running TacOps in OSX Classic mode.

I don't expect to even think about doing a native OSX version of TacOps for at least a year. I can't afford to maintain and distribute two Mac versions and switching to OSX only would leave too many people behind.

If I did do an OSX version I wouldn't take advantage of any OSX unique features because it would complicate the coding of the Windows version. Similarly I don't take advantage of any Windows unique features because it complicates coding for the Mac version.

• 3 months later...

Running TacOps on Appletalk Ethernet.

I seeing a problem when running TacOps in OSX classic mode against someone on a OS9 machine. The system gets a network error after about 3 or 4 turns and looses some actions. Afterwards we examine each other's screens and see radical differences, like NO smoke on one, while the other is filled with it!

The message we get is that the connection is lost, and that we should wait a few minutes and try again. Afterwards we sometimes get "reconnected" automaticaly however we loose some moves. Once we had a connection (could send messages back & forth) but could not complete a turn becuase each Mac was waiting for the other, even though both had checked completed the moves and sent the orders.

Not sure if this is a code problem with TacOps in classic or an Appletalk problem between OSX and OS9. No other problems seen outside of TacOps though.

Clownfish