Open topped Vehicles and how they button.

I was playing a game earlier today, in which I had the privilege of having nothing left to attack a Jackson with other than a LMG 42. At around 150m, the rounds started to dance across the TK, causing it to button up. Now heres where i have my complaint.

It ebing an open topped vehicle, I assume that when rounds are flying around buttoning is really just staying low and cower against the side of the turret, occassionally peeking over. Imagine my surprise then when the jackson seemed to continue unfazed, operating at peak efficiency and firing accurately with its main gun. Now i would think that its awfully hard to work your turret psoitions if you are crawling around to avoid being perforated. For some reason, the crew suffers nothing more than a loss of visibility like a tank. I'm fairly sure this isn't realistic, but I could be wrong. Would someone please reply to the positive or the negative?

There are still optics and vision slits in an open topped vehcile. However, I can't comment on the performance of the vehcile buttoned up, as opposed to being crew exposed.

Since there is nothing in the manual on this, I can feel your frustration. I wish it was clear if there are advantages/disdvantages, and that they are spelled out.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

I'm no expert on this, but I know of no reason why a Jackson could not operate as well buttoned up as a tank. As Dr. Brian said they had the same optics and vision slits. A tank destroyer is just a tank with the roof missing to save on weight and manufacturing costs. It was not necessary to look out the top to operate the thing.

Also, unless the MG was firing down on the tank from a higher elevation there would be no reason for the crew to "crawl around" inside.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 12-03-2000).]