Best Ambush (Armor / Infantry)

minmax

In my opinion, surprising a battalion is different from ambushing a squad sized patrol mano-a-mano.

Recon units should not be allowed to pass. Their eyes and comms will screw you royally later when (from behind you) they start calling in arty support and reporting your locations and activities once the real battle starts.

Recon units should be engaged by small forces specifically tasked and organized to be able to win the counter-recon skirmish without giving away the trace of the main ambushing force or the trace of the main line of resistance.

Just my two cents ...

In a large defensive scenario I conduct a deliberate counter-reconnaisance. Take away the opponents eyes early in the game. He now has to move forward with less information than I have. If the defender has sufficient depth, the entire battle becomes a series of ambushes that do constant damage without ever letting the attacker mass against a lucrative target. This also minimizes my exposure to artillery.

If you don't have a lot of depth or a lot of troops or a lot of either it gets much harder. I look for reverse slope positions for my dismounted units and stay-behind positions for my scouts. Scouts are only allowed to attack Air Defense and Artillery units and only after I know the enemy's axis of advance.

I try to use all available artillery, Tac Air, Attack Helicopters and MLRS in a concentrated opening strike that coincides with my scout screen/cavalry shooting up the enemy's air defenses (anyone remember JAAT?) Doing this exposes air defense units early, causes them target overload, and hits the most lucrative concentrations of enemy before they break up. It also gives me a good look at the survivors so I can plan my next move.

Still my favorite game.

Gary Chilcote

The best ambush I ever did in TacOps was the most obvious one:

-Your units have thermal imagers

-OPFOR doesn't have thermal imagers

-Lay down a nice thick smoke screen (I prefer to drop the smoke on my position)

Then sit back and enjoy the show. You can see and shoot them, while they die.

Don't forget to keep up the smoke screen. Your units might run out of ammo eventually, but there's always resupply. smile.gif