Damaged Gun Bug in 1.04

I have a Sherman with a damaged gun. The turret is oriented 90 degrees clockwise and cannot be turned. It has no .50 cal ammo left but more than 200 regular MG ammo. The tank is unbuttoned. Here's the behavior I see:

1. You can give it the Hunt command (from keyboard) but the tank won't do anything. (The command should probably be disabled if that was the intent).

2. You can target the enemy with the bow MG but the targetting line immediately disappears during the turn and it only fires occasional bursts that are probably unrelated to the target command.

3. Area fire with the bow MG seems to work fine.

Does the coax MG always become unusable with a damaged gun?

Guest Madmatt

The damaged Gun hit is a bit of an abstraction and can represent several things (barrel physically hit, loss of power to turret, damage to optics etc...) but they all have the common effect which keeps the main gun from firing.

Charles once said that he would like to differentiate between coax and main gun damage but this is on the 'List' for future features to be added.

For the record, I don't believe a normal target order will be followed by the Bow gun. Only the main gun/coax responds to that. Bow guns are under full Tacai control. Thats why it only fired intermitantly.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-21-2000).]

Ah, ok. When a damaged-gun tank is the only weapon you have left, not being able to target with the bow MG really stands out; however, the hunt command should be disabled (did this break in 1.04?) for damaged-gun tanks. I wonder if this is related to the fact that computer controlled gun-damaged tanks just sit there (i.e. AI continuously gives it hunt commands but it can't act on them).

Guest Madmatt

I don't believe the Hunt will actually DO anything for a a vehcile with a damaged gun and that is mentioned in the readme for 104. Phyiscally removing the Hunt command would make sense to but perhaps it was trickier to do that than it would apprear.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Along these lines. I would like to see a "Gun Hit: You're hosed" and "Gun Hit: You're kinda hosed" differentiation between Main Gun hits and Machine gun hits. When I score a gun hit I always assume it's the main gun until it blows me up.

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur