Madmatt - Light MG42 “Crew” – Bug?

In a QB last night against the AI, I ran into a couple of “crew?” units occupying foxholes. I thought this quite strange, crews being in foxholes. Especially since I hadn’t knocked out any vehicles in the area. After over-running the positions, I discovered that these “crews” were actually light MG42s, with two men. They still had their MG, and turned from “crew?” into “light MG” as soon as they were positively identified.

Question; shouldn’t these “crews” be identified as “infantry?” until they are positively identified? Is this intentional? This is a very minor problem, to be sure, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Seeing that you addressed this to MadMatt, Jackson, my jumping in here is a bit like stepping on Matt's toes. (But if his toes are as hard as his head, then not to worry. wink.gif )

Anyway, you're probably getting the "crew" label for the light MG42 as many crews in CM are similarly two-man units (e.g., light mortars). Of course, the light MG42 might alternately be identified as "infantry" on other occasions. It sounds like you had the full fog-of-war (FOW) setting on. And if light MG42's can be identified either way under FOW, that should be appropriate as to enhance the level of uncertainty.

Ed

Spook,

I only addressed this to Madmatt as he seems to be the guy keeping an eye out for bugs.

I had never before seen any unit classified as “crew?” before without having had its main armament knocked out first. This is the first time I’ve run up against light MGs. For all I know it is intentional on the part of BTS to add to the FOW. Kind of like light AT and flak guns showing up as “infantry?” or “infantry sounds?.”

Guest Madmatt

It's funny you mention this as I noticed the same thing just last night while testing a networked Operation (Whoops! Did I just say that?!? HEHEHEH) Anyway, Kwazydog and I were slugging it out in some brutal bocage fighting when I spotted several small units in little groups of trees and they were all ID'd as "crews". I thought to myself "Cool, that prep arty barrage I used musta flushed out some AT gun positions and that's the abandoned crews". Imagine my horror when one of those little "crews" opened up with that MG-42 sound effect!!!!

I will pop this over to Charles and make sure it was intentional but my gut feeling is that it was. It sure adds to FOW though as I always thought the crew spottings were a little TOO precise. Not any more, or at least not since 1.05.

Madmatt

Well in my playing, I tend to consider a "crew?" as being a Mortar team, MG team, etc. and vice versa, in that crews are also identified as "infantry?" But on the other hand, aren't even abandoned crews mis-dentified as "infantry?" sometimes? I think it just goes to show you the level of FOW that is implemented into this game. If I hadn't knocked out any vehicles or guns in the area, I automatically assume that it's probably a MG crew. And that just goes with experience while seeing those "crew?" identifications.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 11-17-2000).]