OPFOR Mix

minmax

Just a quick question/request.

Can I play against a Blue force? (i.e. Blue vs. Blue) Vers. 3.0+ and or mix Red and Blue formations together against Blue or Red.

If no, then how about adding it to the famous wish list.

I think I would also like a pay raise for teachers. Being a teacher I figured why not.

A test of the powers of Major H.

One last thing, next spring I am teaching military history. If any of you guys have taught it please e-mail some good resources and anything that would make teaching it better/easier. Thanks! Now I am really done.

Peace through superior firepower

> Can I play against a Blue force? (i.e. Blue vs. Blue) Vers.

> 3.0+ and or mix Red and Blue formations together against

> Blue or Red.

No. However, if you change all OPFOR tanks into the "TFO" (Tank OPFOR Future) and all APCs into BMP3s then there won't be as much of a difference between the Blue and the Red force.

> If no, then how about adding it to the famous wish list.

That has been on the wish list for years. The biggest obstacle has been trying to find an efficient method to change the color of markers for mixed units "on the fly" - that is a method that does not slow down game drawing and does not double the amount of memory required to store the unit marker art.

Major H,

Thanks and I understand the constraints that you face in changing marker colors and such. So if you figure it out great if not that is fine also.

Uh, not to sound unappreciative but I did not get an answer on the pay raise?

Actually, one of the most interesting courses I took at university was a course on the American Civil War.

During this course, to develop an appreciation of the subject matter, the entire class participated in a wargame. The wargame was an SPI game by Richard Berg called Terrible Swift Sword, a huge three map boardgame of the Battle of Gettysburg. The class was divided into Union and Confederate players and the students got to command a regiment or division. During gameplay, the instructor (who was a wargamer) would make historical commentary about elements of the battle, what happened historically and the repercussions. I tell you, actually fighting the battle out gave me a whole different understanding of warfare of that era, as well as a better appreciation of that particular battle - far better than the standard - this battle was fought here for this long, resulting in X casualties and resulting in a victory for Y.

I took that course over twenty five years ago and I still remember it clearly. Can't say the same for any other course that I took ...

Just food for thought as to a different approach to teaching...

Del Shand

Capt, retired

Canadian Armed Forces

Thanks to all who have contributed text and ideas to enhance the class.

I do plan some labs that will illustrate various battles/tactics employed. And I will use some board and computer sims (TacOps with the Major's permission) to help students visualize the tactical/strategic situations.

I also will give students battles that they must write an after action report on and then recommend changes that the on-scene commander should have made to prevent disaster or reduce losses.