Exiting Edge

CM allows one to design scenarios that provide extra points by exiting figures off a given edge of the table.

One question, where does the program tell us how many figures have exited successfully and how many points it was worth? The scenarios I have tried simply give the normal count at the end in total number of KIA/WIA and how many points total were accumulated, but no identification as to how those points break out.

What is it worth to exit?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marty:

CM allows one to design scenarios that provide extra points by exiting figures off a given edge of the table.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There actually seems to be an extra "gotcha" to the "exiting figures" dilemma. Page 101 of the manual says that, not only do you get extra points (amount unstated) for each eligible man you exit, but your OPPONENT gets some (again, unspecified)amount for each eligible man you fail to exit. Sounds fair enough--except I think in practice your casualties wind up not only yielding your opponent the standard value for their destruction, but also giving him the bonus points for having failed to exit, if they were eligible. (Well yes, technically they didn't exit--at least not under their own power... because they're dead/wounded/shell shocked! Isn't this double jeopardy?!)

I'm not 100 percent sure of this, but it is the only explanation I could find for the screwy score in a PBEM match of one of the release disc scenarios where we essentially tied on casualties, I had undisputed possession of the victory point locations, and I had exited 25-33% of my eligible force. Instead, the score was 70-30 in favor of my opponent. Apparently the 66-75% of my eligible force that failed to exit--the bulk of them because they were casualties--outweighed both the value of those that did make it off and the 200 pts for possession of the victory locations.

If this is correct, designing a scenarion and setting forces as eligible to exit is a double-edged sword. I think that, just as you only get points for exiting "live" units, your opponent should only get points for eligible "live" units that fail to make it off! Perhaps in 1.03???

I think you're right about the double-edge sword bit... ...that would also explain some of the numbers I have seen but was unsure of.

This whole issue of exiting units and points awarded is one area that I would like to see made much more flexible. In some scenarios the value of simply getting one unit off the board at all could outweigh the lost points for all those that didn't make it. As mentioned in a previous post, I would like to see an adjustable counter in the editor, like is used for ammo assignment, to assign values to individual units for exiting them off the board, or not. Based on your observation, it might even be worthwhile to have two adjustable values - one the value to me for that unit getting off the edge and the other, the value to the enemy for this same unit not getting off the edge.

I would also like to see a clear breakout at the end of the scenario in the stats which specifically lists something like:

Units exited: 4

1 M4A3 at 10 points each

1 Elite Squad at 25 points each

2 M8 AC at 5 points each

total points for exited units: 45

CM already handles the actions to get the units off the board, it just has a problem with the score-keeping! smile.gif