Favorite Scenario

Zizka

I've been in major trouble at home lately, because my wife keeps finding me on the family computer playing TACOPS. Now when she asks me, "Are you playing THAT GAME again?" I answer: "No honey, I swear! I'm having a cyber affair with another woman! Honest!" That usually calms her down.

Anyway, my new favorite scenario is Fenwick--the one where you command an airmobile force that has to take down a terrorist camp. Way cool. I had to play it three times before I won.

This type of scenario, in my opinion, shows that the simplicity of mission orders and Auftragstaktik sometimes doesn't work. To take down that installation, it requires detailed synchronization and precise timing and teamwork. I think I've cracked the code on the tactics, but if I were commanding on this mission for real, I'd keep a very tight rein.

Basically, you have to use your infiltrators first as artillery observers to knock out the SA-16s. Then and only then can you execute joint air attacks (CAS and ATK AVN) on the BTRs. Once they are history, I smoke the hell out of the encampment and fly the Blackhawks right next to each objective--offload the infantry and storm the building. Meanwhile, the artillery and mortars are suppressing/destroying the heavy machine guns, and I let the snipers loose, too. I designate the targets for them, and I've found that they are incredibly effective. Then reload the bir-ds and move to the next building.

I rely on the AT Hummers and Javelins to slow the MRB when it comes, and the Apaches usually end up fighting the remnants to a standstill while the Blackhawks evacuate everyone at the end.

Anyway--great scenario! My palms were sweating.

My personal favorite is Task Force Mizokami. I suspect that it doesn't get played by most users because it is so big but it would make a heck of a backdrop for a two day CPX. See description below ...

A US Brigade consisting of an armored cavalry regiment (-) and two airborne (air assault) battalions has successfully penetrated and flanked OPFOR's forward line of troops. The Brigade has swung North and is about to conduct a deep spoiling attack to seize and block a major OPFOR line of communication that runs East to West through an industrialized, gently sloping valley. The valley forms a natural chokepoint for several important roads and rail lines. The valley also contains an airfield, several important factory/warehouse complexes, a POL depot, a railroad repair facility, and a power plant. Garrisoned in the valley is a mixed battalion consisting of small regular army units, reserve light infantry units, and militia units. Each major facility has a permanent, platoon sized detachment of reserve light infantry or militia for local security. US intelligence has pinpointed the garrisons' primary positions, however up to twenty percent of their personnel are often on foot patrol or otherwise away from their facility. A regular army Motorized Rifle Company (BTR) is billeted at the Northeast end of the valley. Its BTRs are the only armor currently in the valley. A motorized rifle battalion (BTR) is encamped fifteen kilometers off the eastern edge of map and can reinforce in one hour.

The US brigade's original intent was to rapidly seize the valley with an air assault. The armored cavalry regiment was to arrive two hours later to set up a deliberate defense. The air assault is underway and has just entered the valley. However, moments ago US intelligence detected two moving motorized rifle regiments about sixty kilometers East of the valley. Signals intelligence indicates that the regiments intend to pass through the valley and then launch an attack through OPFOR's forward line of troops. The Regiments are moving on parallel routes and recon elements of both are expected to reach the Eastern edge of the map in about two hours. The US Brigade must continue its attack.

What now Colonel ? smile.gif

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 01-10-2001).]

I think but can't remeber off the top of my pointy head but Moody is the Marine derivative of Mizokami. I love it! it does take a while to get through but the challenge is great. My latest challenge is to do this scenario without the use of Cobras or Tanks. So far I can clear A through E but can't contain the follow on forces.

I would like send out a Semper Fi and we'll miss you to an old First Sergeant I served under who died last night.

First Sergeant Hollingsworth, R.

"If you go in to see company Gunny your screwed. If you go in to First Sergeant your %$&*!" wink.gif

We love you and miss you Top.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG