Age of Empires 2: Off Topic

Guest Thomas William Davie

I read that Microsoft had sold 2 million copies of AOE2, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about and downloaded the demo.

Even decided to check out the MS gaming zone for an opponent.

When I logged on, there were over EIGHT THOUSAND people playing the game.

I really have a hard time wrapping my numbers around those figures, and can only hope that CM does well enough to allow subsequent games in the series.

Geez, it would be nice to log on and find 8k people playing CM though.

Tom

------------------

email address:

thodavie@videon.wave.ca

I'd be worried about 8,000 civvies with a knowledge of weaponry and tactics... (pulling down the steel shutters...) wink.gif

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I have AOE2: AOK, and again, it boils down to another RTS where you build up a big force and go "make some noise".

Only redeeming factor of it is that each of the 13 civilizations have their own advantages and disadvantages. Along with technologies that are also limited to what civy you control. Like the Britons excel in archery units (Longbows) while the Persians excel in Siege Weapons like the War Elephant.

There's that Rock, Paper, Scissors feel to it when matching units against one another. Just like the Panzer General series did.

Gets boring after a while. AI is pretty lame most of the time.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Actually, if you wanna get burned out on RTS quickly, try WARZONE 2100. It was the first C&C genre game that was done in 3D. Cool concept at first, but just got down to where you build up a force and go around the map destroying everybody's base.

One game I played, I swear, I just had a large force and went around the board in clockwise direction killing each base in turn without many casualties. 'Cause all the AI does is build alot of low class units when you've got Super Tanks armed with Gauss (plasma) Cannons or Laser Turrets.

That's what is gonna make CM the greatest AI game ever. Never the same AI execution from battle to battle.

------------------

"I want you to remember that...no bastard ever won a war...by dying for his country...He won it...by making the other poor dumb bastard...die for his country."--George S. Patton

Oh, I ain't defending AOE2 or saying that it is a good/great game. It's just that I am dumbfounded by these numbers.

[Droning voice inside of Tom's head....If 2 million people have bought it, it must be good. I want you to go out and buy it today Tom]

It's got detail, and amazing complexity, but if it suffers from what you say (and I haven't played against another human yet) then it's not for me. That is why I would never buy a Combat Mission that was 'continous action.

But geez, 4068 people playing it as of this post? In comparison, there's about 30 people playing Civilization and 60 playing HOMM3 (turn based games), but ZERO playing turn based historical games. Man that is depressing.

Tom

------------------

email address:

thodavie@videon.wave.ca

In bet if BTS could strike a deal with Mplayer they could

have their own CM lobby. That would make for a very convenient

place to setup direct IP games and such. Also, Mplayer features

voice chat that works like a charm. You just press a button on

the screen and hold it down while you talk and everyone in the

room (which can be locked for private chat) can hear you. smile.gif

I bet an Mplayer CM lobby would be abuzz with activity. smile.gif

I'd go for it. Also, and this will benefit Windows players; voice communication will be part of DirectX 8. Mind you, you might not want to use that feature if you're on a dial up connection though.

But yeah, if I was in a mood for a live game, and I couldn't get in touch with my buddies, it would be nice to stroll into a chat room and get a quick game going.

Tom

------------------

email address:

thodavie@videon.wave.ca

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas William Davie:

[Droning voice inside of Tom's head....If 2 million people have bought it, it must be good. I want you to go out and buy it today Tom]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New droning voice deep inside of Tom's head...I know where you can get a very cheap, mint condition copy if you want to try it. smile.gif

Hehe, Dan if I would have heard that voice yesterday, I woulda taken you up on it. I picked the game up after work today, as well as the Sybex and Ensemble guides.

I found that the demo played rather lesiurely if I set it as slow as possible.

Appeals to the latent pretensions to Godhood within me smile.gif

Tom

------------------

email address:

thodavie@videon.wave.ca