begginer questions

1) is there anyway to change where vehicles and gun emplacements are in setup for a scenario? All I can move are troops.

2) is there a "high res" mode, or is this simply dependant on the resolution I picked when i first ran CM?

3) is there any way to replay the battle? By this I dont mean the last turn (60 seconds), but is there anyway to see say the whole fight as cinimatic once its over or near over-- or can you only view the last turn?

4) Why do Tigers blow? I thought these things were good and was so excited when I got around 5 of them. However, they were eaten alive by the enemy reinforcements of pershings-- even when I had them 2 to 1 and flanked. They turned so fast and can/ will kill on the first shot.

Thanx all, great game so far

Hey guys whats the madder with you! Help out the new guy! biggrin.gif lol.

Anyways ill answer em for you smile.gif

1.) Yes you can move anything anywhere during setup (unless a unit is specifically not supposed to move as part of the scenario). Just press P for PLACE and move em around smile.gif

2.) The game plays at the same res you run your windows on. So if you run it at 800X600 , the game will play at 800X600 etc.. If you want to change or updated your graphics settings, delete the Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs file in your CM dir, and start up the game again at the resolution you want it at (maybe it does this automatically when you change your resolution).

3.) This feature that you are talking about has been requested by many people and apperantly is on the "to-do" list of BTS.

4.) Hmmm, this I cant explain to you. Too many variables, what was the terrrain, weather, blah blah etc.. Or maybe you just werent using em right wink.gif My tanks often last the whole battle (gotta love all the ricochets smile.gif

This was all in the manual (cept 3 and 4), I suggest you read it biggrin.gif

------------------

¤§ïѤ

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Customer717:

1) is there anyway to change where vehicles and gun emplacements are in setup for a scenario? All I can move are troops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anything on an orange base during the set-up phase cannot be re-placed. Other units can be placed anywhere in a zone that matches the color of their bases. Be sure you have bases turned on.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>4) Why do Tigers blow? I thought these things were good and was so excited when I got around 5 of them. However, they were eaten alive by the enemy reinforcements of pershings-- even when I had them 2 to 1 and flanked. They turned so fast and can/ will kill on the first shot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tigers were fairly good tanks within their limitations, but their reputation as invincible has been slightly overblown. Used with care, they can provide you with good service. Used carelessly they will end up as dead as anything else.

Welcome aboard. smile.gif

Michael

Regarding the Tigers: You have to remember that the scenario you are playing (if it's the one I'm thinking of) took place near the end of the war. The Tiger was pretty bad-ass when first introduced, but Allied tanks were beginning to match the capabilities of the German tanks (Tigers at least) by February of '45. A Tiger can't stand up to much close-range pounding from 90mm guns wink.gif

Thanx for the help all.

As to the specifics on the tigers. Its a late war winter scenario. Eldorf I think is mentioned as the Allies are approaching from that direction. The terrain is mostly flat (no hills) with some scattered trees where most of the fighting occurs. About turn 10 the axis (me) got many Tigers, and the allies got many Pershings.

At the most visible time that the Tigers were useless was when I had fast moved on road to flank the Pershings. I caught one alone in the rear. It started turning when my 2 tigers had firing position. Two richochets to side armor. The pershing is all around and firing before the second shot (its turret move FAST, much faster than tiger). ONE shot to front, dead tiger. My other tiger fires, richocet. The Pershing turns, lines up a shot, fires and kills my tiger before it had even reloaded for the third shot.

Ugh!

HOwever, the one king tiger I had, mopped up all the but one of the pershings later.

1)Yes. It depends on the scenario,if a unit is padlocked (locked in place) then you can't move it. Are you trying to move a vehicle into woods or other impassable terrain?

2)Its dependant on the resolution you 1st picked I believe. You can toggle tree,smoke,weather,etc to different levels.

3)Nope

4) Tigers don't blow,but they don't dominate either.The Pershing was a great tank,they are very rare.I believe only around 250 were made.Also keep in mind that the Tiger had a slow turrent speed.Were the Pershings moving?

Tigers accel at long distance fighting, so keep 'em hull down and at a long distance and you shall be pleasantly suprised with how well it works.

This however is based on rl tactics as I don't have the game yet =( .

-EDIT- Making a different smilly that doesn't look so menacing smile.gif -EDIT-

[This message has been edited by Harm (edited 08-03-2000).]