Stupid Crack?

ianc

OK, this is brief anecdote on the 'target stickiness' that was improved in 1.05. It seems like things are better in this regard, as I have seen tanks leave their turret pointing toward targets that they've lost, but...

Last nite I was playing a scenario on 1.05 and I had this crack Mk IV commander.

I gave him 'hunt' orders through a wheatfield, so he started tooling along his merry way. About halfway along, he spotted the Sherman that I sent him on his way to terminate.

Red target line appears almost instantly, and he starts to traverse toward the Sherman, but he doesn't stop moving, just keeps on motoring. A second later, he loses LOS on the Sherman and swivels the turret back to front again. After this ill-advised move is completed (he's still rolling), the Sherman suddenly spots and targets HIM. He's oblivious, and has forgotten that Mr. Sherman was even there. Suddenly he remembers, sees the Sherman again and begins to traverse. Ooops. BAM! Nice explosion graphics from Madmatt's site BTW...

My point is, this fellow is CRACK! He has tea with Wittman! Why did he see the Sherman, start to target him, not stop when he had the drop on the bugger, then just forget all about him, perhaps wondering what was for lunch at that point (char-broiled Mk IV commander obviously)?

Ick. Glad it wasn't in a PBEM. Maybe a little more 'stickiness'?

ianc

If the MkIV was hunting then it would have stopped upon spotting the Sherman. I have never seen or heard the hunt command not working. So you may have inadvertently given your tank 'Move' or 'Fast' orders, and the subsequent behaviour of the tank swinging the turret back front is normal while in motion again after losing contact, nothing wrong there.

I had a similar event happen with an M18 stalking an armored car. the Armored car went behind some bushed and the unit lost its lock and went into dumb tank mode, when the armored car came back out (it was not moving, my hellcat was) it did not get its lock again and proceeded to sail right by.