Game Lock-ups

Guest Big Time Software

We've found several conflicts with video drivers in the beta demo - sorry about that. But we've fixed them so the final version of the game will perform much better. So too will the "final" demo which we'll release around the same time. So please check back in when the new demo is ready and that ought to work better for you.

Charles

Actually, I have narrowed this crash problem down to usually (but not always) ocurring whenever I hit the "GO" button. Sometimes it works, sometimes my screen freezes. I dunno if that is related to graphics???

Pleeeeze somebody help me!!!

[...sigh...I guess it's back to the cciv demo]

• 1 month later...

I have a Macintosh G3 Powerbook, 400Mhz. Running system 8.6. basically straight out of the box. I am also running it with virtual memeory on.

The glitch:

Sometimes during the game, a prompt box will appear with " > ". At this point, the game has locked up and I have no alternative to force restart.

The glitch appears usually after inputing orders, and am using the trackpad.

Otherwise, am very impressed with the game. It gives me an alternative to playing miniatures when I can't get any of the guys to come by.

Paul Bernardino

Guest Big Time Software

Odd, that box shouldn't come up unless you hit the "programmer's button". Well, at least it is rare for it to come up on its own wink.gif No clue what this could be, but so many things have been fixed since the Beta Demo that I can't say what the problem is and if it has or has not been fixed. Be interesting to see how the Gold Demo (whenever it is released) behaves for you.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have a Macintosh G3 Powerbook, 400Mhz. Running system 8.6. basically straight out of the box. I am also running it with virtual memeory on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have a G3/400 pb w/128meg (I highly recommend getting the extra memory) and OS9 (I highly recommend NOT going to OS9 yet). The game runs with no problems for me. One thing I might recommend, however, is getting the latest ATI graphics extensions. I believe that the OpenGL 1.2 installer on Apple's web site has the latest drivers included in it. Virtual memory might be the problem, but that's a wierd symptom.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Odd, that box shouldn't come up unless you hit the "programmer's button".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, and I don't believe the G3PB has a dedicated programmer's button on it. This sounds like a serious low-level problem. The usual advice applies - try turning off as many extensions as possible (make a gaming set in Extension Manager) and avoid running under VM if possible. Also, if you have any familiarity at all with MacsBug (also available for download) you might put this on your machine in the hopes of getting a little more detail than ">" on the problem.

For the record, this is the best piece of hardware I have ever owned - everyone should run out and buy one! I have Virtual PC 3.0 installed and it bechmarks as a 200 mhz Pentium II in emulation! Great for most non-3d PC games. You really need the extra RAM for VPC though - I'd consider putting in an additional 128meg when the price is right.