Problems with Voodoo3 3000

I have the following computer:

AMD k6-2 450, jetway 342 motherboard soundblaster live sound card, 128mb RAM, and a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP video card etc. Now the system freezes in a number of games including the CM gold demo, SWAT 3, USAF, Hidden and dangerous, Rogue Spear. The games play ok for between 5-30 minutes and then the sound continues but the video freezes and I have to reboot. The computer was fine until I had my old banshee replaced with the V3.

Now I am fairly convinced that this is a problem with the machine and not the software but as some extra ammo to use with the shop who hold the warranty i was just wondering if there were any known problems with CM and V3 cards/AMD chips etc.

The machine has been back for repair three times so far and i think from the phone conversation I have just had with them they are about to blame it on the software (ie CM amongst others.)and not a fault with the machine itself.

Thanks for any help.

I just want to be able to play this game without saving every few minutes and rebooting 4-5 times a night.

Definitely sounds like a driver issue. I would make sure that all of your drivers (video & sound cards at least) are current and that you are using DirectX 7.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

Thanks for the fast feedback, I have the latest non-beta drivers for everything even for the AGP port. 3Dfx told me that the card is incompatible with my mother board but Jetway (who made the MB) claim that its fine with the correct AGP drivers. I am seriously concidering going back to the banshee, if I an find one because I gave the old one to a friend.

and I have DX7a running.

At least know I know its a computer problem and not a CM problem.

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 06-15-2000).]

Does your V3000 have a heatsink and fan on the chip? If it doesn't I suspect an overheated chip. especially since it works ok for a few minutes then freezes. Typical signs of inadequate system and video card ventilation and cooling. Try running the game with the cover on you PC off, with a portable fan blowing on the V3000 if possible, and see if that fixes it.

If it does, I suggest you go buy a heatsink and fan for your v3000, and/or make sure you PC case has enough holes for air to flow through

ccj

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 06-15-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Private Pike:

Thanks for the fast feedback, I have the latest non-beta drivers for everything even for the AGP port. 3Dfx told me that the card is incompatible with my mother board but Jetway (who made the MB) claim that its fine with the correct AGP drivers. I am seriously concidering going back to the banshee, if I an find one because I gave the old one to a friend.

and I have DX7a running.

At least know I know its a computer problem and not a CM problem.

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 06-15-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran the CM Gold Demo on my V3 3000 machines for a very long time until my V5 5500's came and there never was any lockups, nor were there any with any of my other games. I may side with 3DFX on this one if you have the current drivers for everything and your DX is 7.0+ it may be a hardware issue. Now there a few things to try......1st check out the HEAT issue brought up by CoolColJ, 2nd and on -->make sure all the banshee software is uninstalled, if not remove and reboot, if so boot into safe mode and make sure the old VID Card is gone. This must be through safe mode. If not remove all VID cards reboot and let windows redetect the V3 if the banshee is not listed in safe mode and the V3 is the only one.......and you have tried the HEAT solution suggested above and it still locks then it probably is a conflict between the MB and the V3, as stated by 3DFX.

[This message has been edited by thomasj (edited 06-15-2000).]

Overheating....thats what the shop said, so I tried the open case and fan bit, then I mailed ordered a PCI fan card from the US (I'm a Brit btw)and then the shop fitted a CPU fan on the V3 card as well. It was better but still not stable. The machine is perfect in 2D so I don't think its the CPU (and the fan is going round). And the V3 was fitted onto a complete reistall of Win98 SE2.

interestingly it runs Panzer Elite for hours without any problems.

I'm starting to thInk its hardware as well, could be time for a new motherboard.

The heat-problem may cause th B to supply to little power for the V3. There are several MB that don't complete follow the AGP-specifications and won't give a stable 6Volt powersupply to the card. Normally this effect would show up when the card switches from 2D to 3D mode as then the powerdrain is highest (but drops back). But as a warm (not neccessary overheated) chips drain ore power it could be a 'build-up' problem.

I'm using a V3 too, but with a Asus-MB, so I'm quit sure that it's not the game or card either that crashes your pc.

murx