Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

LOS calculations...screenshots included

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to what kind of cover, if any, walls provide in the game. It looks to me like units can see right through them without any reduction in visibility.

These two screenshots show line of sight from a MG team on the far left flank in "valley of trouble" They appear to be able to see from well below the height of the stone wall and fire in a curving path over the top of a small rise. How extreme do elevation changes have to be to affect LOS? These were taken at realistic scale, camera view 1.

This first one shows the line of sight from the target's perspective and you can see the selected MG team is clearly well below the elevation of the wall.

The next shot is taken from the MG team's perspective. I don't see how they can draw LOS to anything beyond the wall.

This is not at all a complaint. It is intended solely to understand exactly how LOS is determined (from what height) and how much cover you can get from walls.

Sorry for the download time on the pics, I made them as small as I could while maintaining enough detail.

pritzl

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 05-11-2000).]

and this second shot is taken from the MG team's perspective. It's hard to see how they can draw LOS to anything past the wall.

Picture2.jpg

Again, sorry for the download time on these.

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 05-11-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Walls don't literally block LOS in CM because that would effectively enforce a blanket LOS block even against large things behind the wall - like tanks!

Instead, walls provide cover bonuses for units behind them (and hull down status for tanks). Infantry that is hiding/prone gets even more protection.

Charles

Hey Charles,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes perfect sense. One last question...How far can you be away from a wall and receive the protection bonus? For example, would that MG team in the screenshot above get protection from the wall, in addition to protection from the scattered trees and foxhole, or are they too far away?

You guys deserve huge accolades for this game! It's a perfect mix of complex strategy and an elegant interface. Also, your attention to detail and historical accuracy is unprecedented. And lastly, thank you BTS for also making this game for the Mac. We Mac users may not have as many war games to choose from, but that's irrelevant when you have the very best of the lot.

pritzl

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the compliments. smile.gif

I really hope we can get the word out to Mac users about CM. If you are able, please try to talk it up on the net. Word of mouth is what sustains us.

You have to be very close to the wall to get the protective benefit. IIRC, it's about 7 or 8 meters, max. So that MG gunner definitely wouldn't get it.

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

You have to be very close to the wall to get the protective benefit. IIRC, it's about 7 or 8 meters, max. So that MG gunner definitely wouldn't get it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about spotting (or anti-spotting bonus)? if a unit is in open terrain but in a foxhole behind a wall (e.g., a la LD), does it harder to spot initially than if the wall weren't there?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I really hope we can get the word out to Mac users about CM. If you are able, please try to talk it up on the net. Word of mouth is what sustains us.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent Games Domain a news headsup on the Demo, and they have posted it along with a link.

Party on, S&C. You've written the computer game that board wargamers have waited for since 1978.

Ethan

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What about spotting (or anti-spotting bonus)? if a unit is in open terrain but in a foxhole behind a wall (e.g., a la LD), does it harder to spot initially than if the wall weren't there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being behind a wall (esp. if prone) reduces visibility noticeably. However, being in a foxhole *and* behind a wall doesn't add much, because after all, if you're down low enough to be in the foxhole, then you're already low enough to be behind the wall, so it doesn't really change anything. (This was actually a flaw in the beta demo which made those US squads in the wheatfield, in foxholes and behind the wall, unrealistically strong).

Hakko & Colin - thanks for spreading the word. That's exactly what we need.

Charles