Mortar/HQ Targeting?

I was confused by something that occurred last night in a Quick Battle. I had four mortar teams, 3 60-mm's and an 81, on reverse slope in C & C..with the HQ unit spotting at top of hill. I wanted to shell the heck out of a road crammed with Axis armor. But when it came time to issue firing orders.. couldn't get the mortar teams' target lines to stick.. they stayed black..wouldn't fire. I was sure that the hq unit was in LOS..so the mortar guys should have been able to get firing solutions on the target area..

Any ideas? Thanks.

I've not had any problems with that type of strategy. The only thing that I can think of is if you HQ only has LOS to a very small opening to where you wanted your indirect fire, then the lines wouldn't stick. (You have to find the exact location where the HQ has true LOS and point the targeting line from the mortars to that spot. It's tricky but it works.)

One other thing is this:

The mortar teams targeting line will never turn green when you are setting the target. (They have no LOS.) However, if you set the target and if the HQ is in line of site, your targeting line turns yellow and it "sticks."

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

[This message has been edited by kb9sog (edited 07-16-2000).]

The only thing that I can think of is if you HQ only has LOS to a very small opening to where you wanted your indirect fire, then the lines wouldn't stick. (You have to find the exact location where the HQ has true LOS and point the targeting line from the mortars to that spot. It's tricky but it works.)

Thanks. It could be that I just didn't find the exact spot. I'll go check that.

Did you have any other HQs in the vicinity?

I was caught out the other day when I cunningly moved a platoon HQ into a position where he could observe a troublesome pair of MG42s ready to direct fire from nearby mortars. At the same time I moved up my company HQ to encourage some nearby pinned units. When I tried to order the mortar fire I found that the mortars were now tracing command to the Company HQ, which could not see the MGs Too many chiefs I guess!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyrano01:

Did you have any other HQs in the vicinity?

I was caught out the other day when I cunningly moved a platoon HQ into a position where he could observe a troublesome pair of MG42s ready to direct fire from nearby mortars. At the same time I moved up my company HQ to encourage some nearby pinned units. When I tried to order the mortar fire I found that the mortars were now tracing command to the Company HQ, which could not see the MGs Too many chiefs I guess!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed this too and if you aren't REAL careful in how you place your units it can be real pain in the butt, with your mortars refusing to fire just when you need them the most. Seems to me that it wouldn't be unrealistic to have the player designate which HQ is doing the spotting for your mortars.

Michael