Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

PCs again

For those who were wondering about that Falcon Northwest PC that I mentioned I was buying some time back (Anyone remember that?) it finally arrived, not far off a full month after it was ordered. Just a heads up so that you know what to expect! That said, the lads in the IT department with me here were rightly impressed by the machine once it got here. (Also mightily impressed by the price, but anyway)

DWH

Manic Moran

'Tis an Athlon 800 with Voodoo 3 3500TV 16MB graphics card (I decided I didn't need the GeForce 32 for the games I play, and besides, now I don't need to buy a TV!), 128MB RAM, a 20.5GB UDMA-66 7200RPM IBM Hard drive, Toshiba 8x DVD with hardware decoder, network card, 56Kflex modem and Soundblaster Live! with 4 speakers and a subwoofer, and a T-Shirt. Final cost after shipping: $2800. 19" monitor from IBM a further $535 or so.

The QA checklist had a 3D Mark 2000 rating on it, IIRC it was over 3000 but I'm not sure if that means much or not. Played Half-Life Counter-Strike, and my kill rate shot up. Only problem I've had so far is that my old Sidewinder 3D pro doesn't seem to like the soundcard very much. After I get a joystick working satisfactorily, I'll try Falcon 4, IAF and M1 Tank Platoon 2 and see what happens. (I don't think Railroad Tycoon 2 or Fighting Steel are really going to stretch it, do you?)

NTM

Man you gotta learn to build your own PC wink.gif Its lots of fun, and you get the machine of your choice, and cheaper too if you buy everything from OEM dealers etc.

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

LOL.. Trust me, I'm quite capable of building my own machine (I'm likely to say that a large portion of Falcon's customers are). When I bought my P200 some years ago, I took a look at how much it would cost to build it myself, and how much to go through a local manufacturer. The difference was about 200 pounds on a 1700 pound machine. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle, and the one focal point for warranty coverage helepd too. When it came to this new one, again it was a case of hassle and time being more valuable than money. I know I could have saved several hundered dollars by building things myself, but I couldn't be arsed optimizing, tweaking and doing God knows what else. Besides, they have an insane warranty policy :)

NTM