running CM under NT4.0

Guest aaronb

Howdy. My BFM (Big Fast Machine) runs NT4.0, and for various reasons, it needs to stay that way. We can run (some) games on it, as it does have DirectX5.0, and has a high-end ATI graphic card, good sound, etc. Others complain that they need Win95/98 features. Will CM run on NT4.0?

If you're not sure, this is also an offer to Beta test.

[This message has been edited by aaronb (edited 02-18-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Combat Mission (PC version) will require DirectX 6.0, which as far as I know doesn't yet work on Win NT. So right now CM won't run on NT.

But who knows? Microsoft might make DirectX 6.0 compatible with Win NT, and then CM ought to run fine.

So because of this we're not promising any NT compatibility.

Charles

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 02-18-99).]

Hi,

Microsoft has no plans to get DirectX 6 working on NT 4.0. NT 4.0 machines are stuck with DirectX 3 - i.e. no AGP memory. DirectX 5, which allows AGP memory, is for Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and Windows 98 only. AGP and VPE were the big changes between DirectX 3 and DirectX5. Neither of these features work on NT 4.0.

On the bright side DirectX 6 will work, or least is supposed to work, with Windows 2000 ( previously NT 5.0 ) and Windows 9x, allowing the use of AGP memory on both these platforms.

If I've made any errors here, corrections would be appreciated.