Tile edges are too visible.

Just got an Nvidia Geforce256 card w/ 32 MB of ram in my new PIII 500Mhz machine. It is so sweet, especially w/ the 19" monitor! CM looks and runs fantastic.

Steve,

I would say that there are a lot more people out there 32MB video cards than you might think (and even more w/ 16MB cards). And those numbers are growing fast! There are at least 3 or 4 other people I know that just bought systems and they are all getting 32MB cards. I also know at least 1 or 2 others that are looking to upgrade their existing systems w/ 32MB video cards. So while one might not be able to say that they are "prevalent" yet, my guess it that they soon will be. If nothing else I would guess that about a year from now something approaching at least 1/3, and maybe even 1/2, of all PC computer owners will have at least a 16MB video card as people such as myself w/ early Pentium I / 486 systems upgrade to new ones. The fact that the millenium bug will probably bite some of these same folks will also accelerate this process as they are "forced" to get new systems. Just some food for thought.

Also, I'm in favor of having user chooseable settings for video in the game so that those of us w/ better video cards can take advantage of them. I'd even be willing to pay, oh say $5, more for the game just to have this feature available. Granted, those that don't have better video cards would complain that they are paying for nothing, but then they would have some incentive to quit being such tight-wads and ante up and get some better equipment too! smile.gif

On a lighter, and much more important note, when can we expect the game to come out??? You know me, Mr. Impatient and all. wink.gif

Thanks,

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 11-24-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Gromit, your friends system is likely jerky because... you get what you pay for smile.gif Those ultra cheap systems are just that, ultra cheap. Most likely any system with the same "specs", costing $1000 or more, is going to paste it in real world performance. One thing that consumers are quite unaware of, and that is that MHZ is *not* directly relational to the system's overall speed. It has a MAJOR influence, but all sorts of things can make overall real world performance greater or lesser.

Mike, most new systems are coming with 32MB cards. True. Most anybody going out and buying a new video card will get a 32MB one. True. Same thing goes for CPU speeds. You won't see someone buying a P266 these days. The difference is in the installed base. It takes at least one year for the base to shift significantly, and still about 2-3 to knock one bunch off the low end altogether. Wargamers are also notorious for having old hardware. In fact, we just sold one of our older flight games to someone running Windows 3.1! Now, we aren't going to support systems that are truly dinosaurs, but people with the new hardware *ALWAYS* think that they are more important than others smile.gif Sorry, that has been true since day one, and it is likely never to change. So just keep that in mind smile.gif

We are not going to be doing anything to purposefully jam up a 16MB card just so you 32MBers can feel special smile.gif It is a lot of work to redo ALL the graphics to do this. So there will be no change. 16MB is still our target card for a good reason, and that is because it is solidly in the middle. The 8MB card is something we are very concerned about supporting, but as stated several times above, they will see loss of quality in some cases. 4MB cards are supported only because they work, not because they work well.

Steve