AI behaviour I can't understand

Please keep in mind that this is based solely on the beta demo, and in ONE scenario (The Last Defense).

A Stug-III wandered up to what I could clearly see was 'my' position....it stopped, and then instead of pausing or reversing proceeds to turn around and make a beeline out of there, all the while presenting it's ass in a most inviting manner. I've seen this in pretty much every solo game I've played, or other equally odd 'things'.

If this has been corrected or if I am somehow misinterpreting what is happening apologies.

And again, if the testers OR Bigtime are not seeing this sort of occurence, well....I am. And yes I am keeping in mind that this is a beta demo.

I welcome comments and am willingly ready to be shown what I am incorrectly concentrating on.

Quite frankly after a weeks solid play with the game, I haven't got any comments on the overall quality of the AI as to whether or not it is 'good' or 'bad'. I've got the feeling that there's some stuff lurking under the hood that I'm not quite in touch with (no comment on any statistical analysis of the game system).

As always, comments welcome smile.gif

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, we've see stuff like this. Oddly enough, it was with the StuG wink.gif Not sure if there has been tweaks since then, but we are planning on another round of them in a week or so. However, keep in mind that there is only so smart we can make it. Right now we are very pleased with it. Compared to the other AIs out there, and the extra complexity of CM's game system, we think there are no equals. BUT!!! This does have a lot to do with other game's AI being, uhm how should I put this..., AWOL wink.gif

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm not knocking the AI in Combat Mission yet, was just curious about this odd behaviour. Could it have something to do with the facft that it was a turretless AFV and in some weird way, manner or fashion it was attempting a turret turn, but actually turned the whole vehicle?

Ah, that's what I rationalized to myself anyways.

I find I've got some conceptual questions about how the AI handles it's forces, but when they're all sorted out I'll post them (you might not want to bother with such a long post, who knows).

All things considered, I'm rather impressed with the AI as well. Very impressed actually, considering what I call the AI you call the strategic AI, and it has only been in since about August.

The one thing that would have been a game killer for me is that the AI thankfully avoids the 'I must follow a path to the victory hexes like a male dog following a dog in heat' syndrome.

Tom