Limits

Steve or Charles,

With the Beta firming-up and thus the impending release of CM that much closer, I would imagine that, like myself, there are lots of folk who are 'designing ' scenarios ready for the 'off'

With that in mind, would it be possible to define more precisely the limits on scenario size.

More specifically, how many units (combat or otherwise) will CM support: as a whole; on each side and will attacker/defender be ratioed (i.e. could the defender be battalion-sied, given that the attacker would, by convention, have a larger force)?

What is the largest possible map size?

And will limits be defined specifically, or dictated by individual PC performance?

As a quick aside, is the map made-up of 20mx20m blocks?

Cheers

Jim Crowley

Guest Big Time Software

Not really. There aren't "lots" of folks even playing the game right now, and we just busted the file format, so we don't have scenarios lined up yet. We have probably seen about 30-40 scenarios made over the past 2 months, but as of two days ago none will work any more thanks to Fanaticism and Brush smile.gif

We will NEVER be able to be precise about limitations. The reason is that there are far too many variables. You could have a real FPS killer scenario half the size of another depending on what is done with the terrain and the mix/quantity of units. It also depends on how many units are close to each other at one time (i.e. 10 Panthers side by side will be worse than 15 spread out).

We do have a max map size. I am pretty sure it is 3000x3000 meters. But if you loaded this sucker with lots of slopes, terrain types, and tons of units I don't think the low end folks would be too happy smile.gif It will work, mind you, just with a poor FPS rate.

There is no max unit count, but we will probably have to put one in to prevent people from making Regimental battles wink.gif The largest force for any one side would be a normally balanced Battalion with probably another company or two of vehicles and extra troops.

No "quick" answer to the 20x20 m tile question. Yes, they are 20x20m, but that is totally not going to answer your question smile.gif Check out previous threads on the tile setup. It is far more complex than simply 20x20 would have you believe.

Steve

Steve,

FWIW, if it doesn't make all that much difference please allow the total number of units per side to go up as high as a heavily reinforced battalion for both sides. Maybe even a battalion and a half for each side. Those of us that do have better systems would like to be able to model slightly larger battles if possible. So long as doing this doesn't somehow adversely affect the game itself in someway (not enough basic memory allocation availble in the game to track this many units, etc.) I can't see that doing this would be a problem. But of course, there is probably something I'm not aware of that may provide some limit to how many units the game can handle already. smile.gif

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Regarding the maximum units. Perhaps rather than limit the number of units you could have the game send you a warning. This way you have some flexibility with different computer systems while letting people know that their exceeding what you'd considered a limit. In this way scenario designers will know that the scenario they're creating is inappropriate for all users.

Justin Hoerter

Guest Big Time Software

We would rather not have any hard limits on units, so not to worry. If we DO have a limit it would be higher than the low end would handle (meaning maybe, say, 2 battalions but not 2 divisions smile.gif).

A "warning" is something that we have thought about and might try and figure out how to make it work. In theory it is pretty easy though.

Steve

Steve,

I don't think that any of us would want to command two divisions on a squad by squad tank by tank basis. The order phase would take something like three hours, wouldn't it? A PBEM game might take a year and a half.

I think somewhere around 1 1/2 battalions would probably be the largest that would still be very playable.

Hard, inflexible limits are a real pain in scenario design, most definitely.

Guest Big Time Software

Rick, campaign maps can be larger. Can't remember the figures though.

Yeah, anybody trying to do more than a battalion and a half, short some teams, would be a fool. But one thing that can be counted on are fools smile.gif So I think the only reason we would have an upper limit is if something could be done to actually screw up the game (i.e. crash it). That is really what we are concerned about. There will be no CC style "15 units and that is it" sort of thing.

Steve