Spotting Rules For AFV's

During the course of my reading up on WWII AFV's, I came across a discussion of the site line problems confronted by Panter crews. (FWIW, this was in Forty's _German Tanks of WWII_)

My question is this. Does CM model the differences in site line quality among the various AFV's? I know that spotting depends on the crew's experiences, as well as whether they are buttoned up, but do certain tanks have the same blind spots as their real life counterparts?

I'm having as much fun with the background for CM as I am with the demo!

This question's been up for awhile, and nobody's nibbled. FTR, I did check the archives. There are a number of posts about spotting in general, but nothing on differences b/w individual vehicle types. I could have just missed it, and if so I apologize.

Rob

[This message has been edited by RobVarak (edited 11-04-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, totally missed this post smile.gif We really WANTED to simulate the various spotting abilities of buttoned up AFVs, but there is no comprehensive data that we figured we should drop it. Our philosophy is that if our confidence in the data is terrible, then we really should go with something generic or just leave it out. The little dribs and drabs we found were, not surprisingly, all anecdotal. Not good enough frown.gif We had some minatures rules that had such values, but for all we know they made them up (most likely DID make them up). Not good enough frown.gif Sigh... there should have been a wargamer attached to each AFV design team!

Steve

Guest Michael emrys

You know, if somebody was in the right area and was motivated and a little bit lucky, they could do some useful research on this. There's someplace back East--Aberdeen maybe (somebody on the board probably knows)--where the Army has an open air museum that contains nearly every tank (and a whole slew of other AFV types) used during the Second World War. So what I'm thinking is that if somebody who lives in that area would approach the authorities there, they could probably get permission to go inside the tanks (I believe you can already go right up to them on the outside) and take measurements of sighting angles, blind spots, etc.

Michael

It's Aberdeen but they won't let you inside.

Much better is Namur (in France), Bovington in England (they let you inside some if you know the right people on the day they have their tank parade.

Obviously the BEST would be the huge tank museums in Russia since you can probably get anything there with enough hard cash...

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers