Movement commands and use of cover

Hi, I'm new to this forum and had a few questions on the game. From the posts, previews and data given, the game looks to be the best wargame yet created. That is why I have already pre-ordered the game. Now for my questions:

1. When a unit is ordered to move how many different options are there for the movement of the units? ( such as sneak, crawl, seek cover, assualt, move fast, move with cover)

2. When the unit is moving in the resolution phase will it make use of the existing cover or will it just follow the path given. Will the AI of the unit react to fire when fired upon? Will the unit go to the ground when fired upon? does this matter on which command is being used?

3. When tanks are being moved, will they be able to fire while on the move for surpression? Will the AI of the US tanks fire smoke at the panthers and tigers without you ordering them? Will there be an option for smoke?

4. When you position a tank and put it on the hunt command will it have an AP round loaded or will it have an HE round loaded? or will there be an option in the command?

5. Will there be any control over what type of unit the tanks will target first? Say an infantry unit comes into sight first with a tank behind it. Will the tank fire at the inf.unit first or will it wait for the tank to appear in sights and take a shot at that first seeing it is a bigger threat depending on range?

If any of these have been answered before I am sorry for the double up but my search did not find anything. Thanks for the time.

dano6

Guest Lokesa

Your question about the AI's use of smoke bring up one of mine, How was smoke used on the battlefield? isn't it or wasn't it used mainly as a marker rather than as something to blind an enemy?

I've heard that smoke grenades were primarily used for marking, which is unfortunate since I've always enjoy masterminding a sturm pionere assault using their own smoke to make dangerous assaults. But, I believe arty delivered smoke was used to blind enemy position and to obscure friendly troops as they crossed open ground.

Chris

Guest Big Time Software

Welcome dano6! Most of your questions are either newish or haven't been covered since the old message board (RIP December). So here goes:

1. Yesh, there are a lot, and the differ based on unit. Basically units have 3 forms of forward movement (slow, med, fast). Each has differnt qualities for spotting, shooting, being careful of things like mines, etc. Infantry can also crawl and vehicles can go in reverse. There is also a hand Withdraw order that will allow a unit to move FAST without C&C delay penalties. However, it comes with the risk of panicking the troops.

2. Units will follow your orders as best they can. If you order them out into an open field, they will not disobey your orders and stick to a treeline. However, if a unit is fired upon the unit will do whatever it feels is going to keep it alive. This is VERY complex and is based on a HUGE number of variables. All we can say is that this bit has been in for many months now and it works oh so very well wink.gif

3. Tanks will fire on the move if they think it is worth it. The slower the unit is going the more likely it is going to shoot. The Hunt order allows a vehicle to stop and shoot when it sees a good shot, instead of firing on the move. A Fast order means the unit will never stop to shoot. Tanks can pop defensive smoke, and do evasive action in general, on their own. You must order tanks to shoot offensive smoke rounds.

4. A unit with a gun capable of multiple ammo (20mm AA through 128mm AT) will fire whatever it feels is best, or next best if 1st choice is depleated. We understand that there is SOP for what should be "up" for a tank. There was a big discussion about this a while ago, and I totally forget what the answer from Charles was smile.gif IIRC though the person/s bringing it up were satisfied with his answer, if that is any help!

5. All units use range and potential threat to determine what to shoot at. A vehicle can independently target its main gun (with coax if it has one) and secondary MG (if it has one). In your example the main gun would likely engage the tank and the secondary MG the infantry. I say likely because there are conditions when this would not happen, or the vehicle would do something different (like pop smoke and go in reverse).

Steve