lens flare

Quick question:

Is there a way to get rid of the lens flare (and preferably just the lens flare)?

It's my own preference, but I can't stand lens flare in most (though not all) games. For one thing, I don't understand its purpose. What is it supposed to represent? My eyeballs are not cameras. I do not see multicolored circles when I look towards the sun. Or am I supposed to understand that my character (in such games as have them) walks around with camera lenses glued to his or her face?

In a game like this, it's even worse. This is supposed to be an as-accurate-as-possible simulation, but I don't think lenses of the era would even have this sort of flare in them, even if the idea of lens flare weren't absurd on its face.

I like many of the modern effects games have (though don't get me started on depth of field, that's not how eyes focus!) but this one I find silly and distracting.

But I'm going on at too much length. Is there a file I can delete, or something?