what ammos are Hellcats firing?

ok....im engaged in a tank duel with SS_PanzerLeader in Last Defence...my Tiger against his 3 Hellcats at 850mts...

some 6 Hellcat shells broke on the Tiger armour and i got 2 out of his 3 Cats....

duel still going on...woooow...outcome?...on next turn maybe

anyway it seems that Hellcats fired AP shells

instead of tungsten ones...in fact tungsten shells would have penetrated the Tiger armour

the question is: how does AI choose ammos when firing?

Guest Big Time Software

Ben is correct, the Hellcats do not have Tungsten rounds. Although more common for the Allies, they weren't all that plentiful. My understanding (Charles is better here) is that the Hellcat did not have any for a standard loadout. Usually if a vehicle does have these as standard, they only get a couple. In such a case the AI will only use them if it thinks the extra penetrating power is going to make the difference.

Steve

I had the same experience. My Tiger's turret took three hits, all of which disintegrated as it eliminated two Hellcats. The third Hellcat traded kills with one of my StuGs. All told, I lost both StuGs and all the half tracks in exchange for the three Hellcats, leaving my Tiger the only surviving AFV on the map.

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, Fionn is correct. This is standard "sheet" of data for all vehicles (though the numbers obviously change depending on the actual weapon). The thing is that a Hellcat *can* carry Tungsten, but it is not standard loadout for that particular vehicle. The scenario editor can "issue" some to the vehicle if desired, so the chart then becomes relevant when that happens. Otherwise it is a Chart of Wishfull Thinking smile.gif

Steve

thx to Fionn and Steve.....anyway a suggestion...

is the ammo loadout always the same in scenario or there are some variations (say a Hellcat with 2 tungsten shell)?

the fog of war would be better....I think that SS_PanzerLeader will agree with me....he he!

Guest Big Time Software

The loadouts are randomly assigned when the scenario is made, but it will only assign rounds that are "standard, in their "standard" proportions, with their max number allowed. In other words, so far as I know Tungsten will never be issued to a Hellcat unless the scenario designer specifies it. We *could* have made loadouts random each time the scenario is played, but this presents a problem for the scenario designer because one option (determining exactly what ammo should be available for each vehicle) is no longer workable.

Steve